HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   How many banded ducks have you shot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/72279-how-many-banded-ducks-have-you-shot.html)

RustyOlRanger4x4 09-12-2004 07:21 AM

How many banded ducks have you shot?

Im curious..How many banded ducks have ya`ll shot? Ive never shot one but I see guys on tv all the time with there lanyards full of bands some of them are starting on 2nd ones and thats pretty impressive. so what have ya`ll got?

psandhu 09-12-2004 01:46 PM

RE: How many banded ducks have you shot?

2 in the last 6 years. i average about 35 ducks per year, so that's about 1 out 100. none of my friends have any. i also have a couple of little C shaped strips of aluminum that are the dimensions of a band. They have the word "SUCKER" stamped in them.

Carpmaster 09-12-2004 01:50 PM

Never a banded duck and about 4 years ago I shot a banded and collared goose.

rbduck 09-12-2004 03:38 PM

I have gotten 1 band off a Canada goose, no ducks.......in 35 yrs of waterfowling...still trying though.

Ron:D

whiskeysnoot 09-12-2004 03:40 PM

I have duck hunted seriously for the last eight years (3-4 days a week) and only have three duck and one goose. I have buddies that have hunted much longer than me with none.

Before you are too impressed with the full lanyards on TV, be aware that there are a lot of private duck clubs, outfitters, and pen raisers that band their own local birds. Just like the "Sucker" bands that psandhu mentioned. If you want to see some of them, look on ebay under "duck band". There are even reproduction bands that you can buy.

Now sure, these guys on TV get a lot more oppurtunities and days on the water than me but I would not be surprised to see these types of bands on their necks.

IMO if it is not a band from the USGS with the 1-800 number it's not a legitimate band.

NY Yote 09-12-2004 03:48 PM

I have shot 4 banded geese in the last two years and one of them hand a neck collar on it. I have not shot a duck yet with a band. However last december I let my friend hunt one of my spots when I was in Colorado and he shot a banded black duck. [:'(]

Wiskeysnoot: There are bands that dont have the 1-800 number on them and they are older bands that have write to US+Fish ..... These are old bands and definitley legitimate..I have one and it was very thin due to being on the bird for so many years.

NY Yote

whiskeysnoot 09-12-2004 05:34 PM

NY Yote:

That's true. I forgot about those and you are right, they are legit. They started putting the 1-800 number on them to increase participation in the program. I understand that in the old days they wanted you to send in the band and then would not return it. I don't blame a person for not turning it in.

I guess I should have said "if they come from a gov. agency or program". The ones I was knocking are the ones with advertisements or messages on them.

Speaking of the old bands, a buddy's dad has a band from the second oldest sandhill crane on record. Numbers were illegible and had to be raised with a chemical process. I believe they told him the bird was 48 yrs old.

Congrats on the neck collar. I'm envious of that.

waterfowl_hunter 09-12-2004 08:33 PM

Last year was my first year and my first duck was banded. It made my day. I was happy about that and still am:D

Nate58102 09-12-2004 08:35 PM

I have never shot one but i want to i dont thoink that the guys on tv have fake bands or whatever it was but i dont know. Iam hoping to shoot at lest one this year and it is my first year being able to drive so i will be hunting every other weekend for something since i work the other oones

BLKLAB 09-13-2004 03:27 AM

I have shot 3 bands in the last 3 yrs. One duck had 2 bands on it and was a $100 reward,. Yea Baby.