Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Little help, your opinion??? >

Little help, your opinion???

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Little help, your opinion???

Old 07-24-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Little help, your opinion???

I hunt in a flooded field (duck/goose refuge). There are 7 stands, the farthest being the best, so you have to get there way way way early to get a one of the farthest stands. Usually you get ducks in small groups... solo, pair or maybe up to 4 being the largest. How many decoys would you use, and what size??? Mainly just ducks will come in, you have a lot of geese that come in close, but don't settle at anyones place. They will make a swoop and then head off to the river near by. I can't hunt the river cuz i don't have a sea worthy craft.

So what type of decoys would you use???
Old 07-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Little help, your opinion???

what kind of ducks are they??? I would maybe trying 3 or four pair set up feeding together if the come fairly close, and their is a lot of pressure, i have had great luck with cutting down on numbers of dekes but usually use 2 to 4 dozen.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:35 PM

Puddlers.... mallards, ect. I am thinking only one dozen with some feeders. how would you set them up? Formation? It is just a huge flat flooded field.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

the j formation is a good one ive been experimenting with an x shaped formation lately seems to be working especially for geese, i think it more important to make the dekes look natural in your presentation than anything. good luck.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I sometimes hunt a public marsh (idot central) ,to get away from them I walk in about 1/2 - 3/4 mile ,I take 14 malard dekes 8 hens .I find that this is enough and it leaves room in the decoy bag for my waders . A lot easer to walk the dikes in sneakers !