Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

My 1st Dog

Old 07-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default My 1st Dog

I may get into Duck hunting and I was wondering what dog would be fit for me. I wanna dog that trains pretty easy .I am thinking about a lab.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:50 PM

Default RE: My 1st Dog

A lab would be an excellent choice! I currently have a Chocolate lab, male, and he is a wonderful dog. He's a little over two years old now and went out on his first hunt this last fall. He really impressed me, he's turning out to be an excellent hunter. Labs are excellent family dogs too, if that's another thing you're looking for.

Personally I like chocolate labs better than black or yellow labs because they tend to have the block shaped head, I just think they look better. You might also look into Golden Retrievers.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:35 PM

The color of the dog does not matter. Personel preference is the key. Black labs are usually cheaper. I am not sure why this is. I have a Chocolate and a Yellow who is more red than yellow. The yellow labs blend into the dry weeds better, but I am not sure if this really matters.
If you get a lab you will never be sorry. Make sure that the dog picks you. It is also easier to slow down a hyper dog rather than speed up a calm dog. The female or male question is up to you. I prefer females because they seem to be easier to train and less bull headed.
All of this is of course personal preference. I am by no means an expert except when it come to the behavior of my own dogs.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

lab definetly. color does not matter i have all three. You wanna pick the pup who is not the bully of the bunch or the wimp you want the one who is in the middle. They are very good house dogs but they get big and heavy, they can shake a house when they plop down on the floor but they are great with kids.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

love my lab she is an 75 lb black awesome with kids and was easy to train, best pet i have ever had.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:33 PM

I have two labs! They are great! Very fun to be around also. Good family dogs. Max, my oldest is now 4 he's a real horse at 110lbs! He's not over weight either! Last year after hunting season, he weighed in at an even 100lbs. and the vet said he should gain some weight. He told me that 110 would be about right for him. My other lab, Duke, is a smaller build lab and he weighs 75 lbs. Labs are easy to train, it's all about repetition. Five ten minute sessions a day are better than one hour long one. Get a good book and or a video on training water dogs, then get the lab. You won't regret it.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:19 PM

I have had good luck with male labs. I have seen some good chessies, but have heard they are harder to train. And because I tend to be a little tough on them ( no I do not beat them, just make darn sure they get basic obedience)I have never owned a female. Typically they are a little softer.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]