Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

duck slam???

Old 06-29-2004, 07:31 PM

Default RE: duck slam???

I agree with Gundigest, there should be a slam for puddlers, divers and sea ducks.

Puddlers
Mallard, Woodie, Blue Green and Cinnamon Teal, Gadwall, Widgeon, Pintail - what am I missing???

Divers
Bluebill, Ringbill, Redhead, Bufflehead, Goldeneye (are both kinds in the US?), Canvasback, all the mergansers, Ruddy - what am I missing???

Seaducks
I wouldn't even know where to begin

My brother knows a guy who will just mount the head of the duck for very cheap (only $20) so I'm trying to get a nice drake of every kind but I just started the collection this year with a nice drake Greenwing Teal.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

rick missing:
puddlers- black duck, ...????
divers.....dunno besides what you said...????
seas-????eiders, ?????even though as far as i know theres not a season we need to add commoratnts in there!~!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 07:22 AM

Would all of these birds have to be taken in 1 season??? I'll never get the Pintail, Blackduck or Cinnamon Teal with the others in 1 season but the diver slam is possible.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:46 PM

gundigest, has got it right. One slam for each, and a grand slam for all of the North American waterfowl.
Carpmaster, what a brillent idea. We need somebody to compile a list of ducks that must be taken to qualify for the slams. Same goes for geese.
You must include Swans and maybe Sandhill Cranes for the grand slam.
I would like to see a list compliled, with others adding comments until we have a complete list. After the list is compiled, posters can be made up. Ducks Unlimited can help us with this.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

According to my North American Game Birds book, there are 6 types of Geese, 12 types of puddle ducks, 12 types of diver ducks, and 7 types of sea ducks. That is not counting most of the sub species. I think the slam list should be as follows, what does everyone else think? All of these are North American Game Birds.

I don't have the cranes in this book so i did not put them in this list.

The Waterfowl Slam should include all of these and the Duck Super Slam should include all of the duck slams.

Goose Slam

1. Greater Canadian goose
2. Lesser Canadian goose
I don't know what the other sub species are but they should be added
3. Snow goose
4. Blue phase snow goose
5. White Front goose (speckle belly)
6. Ross' goose
7. Tundra Swan
8. Bant

Puddle Duck Slam

1. Mallard
2. Black Duck
3. Pintail
4. Gadwall
5. Wigeon
6. Wood Duck
7. Blue Wing Teal
8. Green Wing Teal
9. Cinnamon Teal
10. Shoveler
11. Fulvous Whistling Duck
12. Mottled Duck

Diver Duck Slam

1. Canvasback
2. Redhead
3. Lesser Scaup
4. Greater Scaup
5. Ring-Necked Duck
6. Common Goldeneye
7. Barrow's Goldeneye
8. Bufflehead
9. Ruddy Duck
10. Common Merganser
11. Red Breaseted Merganser
12. Hooded Merganser

Sea Duck Slam

1. White Winged Scoter
2. Surf Scoter
3. Black Scoter
4. Common Eider
5. King Eider
6. Oldsquaw
7. Harlequin Duck
Old 07-02-2004, 11:09 AM

I'm missing most of the Geese and all of the Sea Ducks. Otherwise I need a Cinnamon Teal, Blackduck, Mottled and Fulvous Whistling Duck for the dabblers and just the Barrows Goldeneye for the Divers.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ain`t no sea ducks in the middle of the prairies. It is illegal to shoot swans here too.

Ron
Old 07-02-2004, 09:28 PM

gundigest,

Looks great, unless we missed anything.
For those that are upset about the ducks that are not found in your area. That is why it is something to try and get. You are going to have to travel to get the slam. We do not have wood ducks where I live. That is going to be something that I will have to travel for.
I personally do not feel that the Swan should be included in with the goose. I think that it needs to be a seperate item to conclude the Grand Slam. The Swan for most is going to be the hardest to get. Is the King Eider a duck that is shootable?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ben, what would happen when you are 1600 miles from the ocean like I am?
Like Cliff Roberts once said in that movie that I cannot remember the name of......"It`s a wonderment"

Ron
Old 07-04-2004, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

The King Eider is a game bird so it is shootable, as for the swan my book had it in the goose section but it could be seperate for the slam, Michigan does not have a season for them right now but some areas do have huntible populations, and they are talking about opening a season. I would have to travel for a number of these ducks and some of the geese also, but the slams are not suppost to be easy.

Quick Reply: duck slam???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.