HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Any tips for making Texas Rag Decoys? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/50095-any-tips-making-texas-rag-decoys.html)

txbowjunkie 01-20-2004 09:00 AM

Any tips for making Texas Rag Decoys?

I haven't started an internet search yet because I figured one of you would know a decent/cost effective way to make texas rag decoys. We have an extended white fronted goose season here in the South and the flocks are starting to show up.

I have a good place to set up and need some direction on layout and decoy types.

I decoy ducks regularly but have never really attempted geese. They are usually a bonus! But this year the numbers are high enough to make me what to try!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

drgildy 01-20-2004 09:11 AM

RE: Any tips for making Texas Rag Decoys?

I made several hundred out of small (3 gal. size) garbage bags that were meant to be used in small waste paper cans. Used a bunch of Magic Markers to draw black wing tips near rhe closed end and rubberbands to fasten them to hardwood dowels. They seem to work just fine. The ones that are marketed as Texas rags are priced quite reasonably also. Also purchased some replacement heads from G&H to use on some of the dowels on the downwind side of the setup. Worked for me.

Mossy_Oak_Bounty_Hunter 01-20-2004 05:29 PM

the advertised rag decoys are priced reasonably enough for me. i tried making some one time but i think its just easier to buy some

txbowjunkie 01-21-2004 02:11 PM

I didn't realize they were so cheap. I picked up 100 for 12.00 last night. They were half price.

Anyone else need any. I'll pick em up and send them to you.........

Mossy_Oak_Bounty_Hunter 01-21-2004 05:50 PM

whered you get them from tx?

I was out coyote hunting tonight watching all the snows fly over, really want to get me some rags.

txbowjunkie 01-23-2004 12:16 PM

Mossy-

Academy sports has all decoys 50% off. They've got several boxes of mallard, teal, pintail. The rags are 100 to a pack and they've got about 10 packs left. At the discounted price you'll pay 12.00 a pack.

If they don't have em near you, let me know and I'll buy them for you and you can re-emburse me when you get em. They're moving fast.........

The teal and mallard dekes are running about 15.00 a dozen.

Mossy_Oak_Bounty_Hunter 01-23-2004 03:37 PM

wow, let me check around here this weekend and make sure i havnt missed any sales(and find some money)and ill get back with you