Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

novice duckhunter

Old 01-18-2004, 04:40 PM

Default novice duckhunter

I am just getting started duck hunting, and I was wondering if anybody had any advice for me as things to get and stages to progress. I have hunted quail, rabbit, deer, and about everything else in the south. I have just got interested in duck hunting, but I am going to get started probably next year as its almost too late this year, but need advice. What about a dog? How soon should you start trying to train a dog? I have trained lots of bird dogs, beagles and such.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: novice duckhunter

Alot depends on what part of the country you are hunting. Do you need a boat to hunt the areas? If so you'll need a duckboat.

You'll also need a good pair of waders.

Any shotgun will do.

Get a good call or two........haydels or primos makes good calls, so does duck commander.

You'll also need at least a doz decoys.........

A dog, I wouldn't hunt ducks without one. I trained my dog but it was hard. Get a book or video or let someone else do it.

More tips later........
Old 01-18-2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks alot mallard! any of you guys that can stop me from pit falls I would sure appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

I would also say that you would need to find a spot to hunt, if I were you in late spring and summer to look at different place to hunt and find where the ducks are.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:21 PM

Well you dont have to worry about a dog right away. My dad and I have been duck hunting for 4 years. We are getting a dog soon. We had no troubles retrieving the ducks by ourseleves.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:33 AM

First of all,make sure you've got a good shotgun.That can be a ordeal in itself as there are a number of junkers out there to avoid.Price is no reflection of quality,remember that.There are some really good and inexpensive guns, there are also some high priced guns that aren't worth a quarter of what you pay.
Next,get a good call. Again ,it doesn't have to be pricey as long as it sounds like a duck. If you are new to calling, you might want to start with a double reed, they are easier to learn with and more forgiving than a single reed. In my opinion they sound better than a single.I use a Winglock double reed wood/poly and it sounds fantastic, I'll never go back to a single reed again.Primos and Haydels are also very good.Once you decide on a call, practice,practice,practice and practice some more.Oh, and by the way,did I mention that you should practice lots.There is no substitute for great calling and knowing when and how much to call.
Decoys.I use a dozen Flambeau's and they work very well. If I was to buy some more,I'd buy GHG, very realistic and affordable. I don't see the need for more than the 12 I'm currently using,I've shot LOTS of ducks over these dekes.
I hope this was of some help, PM me if you want.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:55 AM

Welcome to the addiction........

I would agree with the rest on waders, dozen dekes, decent call, and a reliable shotgun. The rest of the things you need you can get over time.

Now's a good time to buy. All the proshops are selling waterfowl equipment at deep discounts to get them off the shelves.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:53 AM

Thanks alot to all you guys for your help I sure appreciate it ! I think I am addicted to duck hunting already along with my 15yr old son. Let me know if anybody thinks of anything else. Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2004, 05:36 PM

do like my dad did when i started duck hunting, get him started in it and let him get good at it and get all the stuff, and then let him take you hunting (im also 15)
Old 01-21-2004, 06:26 PM

Advice from the other side of the huge DUCK POND (England). Im 17 and have been duck hunting for about 3years now. I started knowing nothing and now know more than the average wildfowler.

* the most important thing and the best way to learn is GET OUT THERE and try and learn from your mistakes. Unless your planning on dieing in the next year there is no huge need for imediate success.

read as much information as you can, and try and develop a passion for it, it will pay off with huge success.

* Bit of advice that i wish i had.... When you have ducks shoot them, that simple. The amount of times I have come home empty handed because I thought I would waite incase a bigger group came, is to embarising to coment!!!

Buy yourself a good call. An olt duck call give a nice coarse sound. Not sure if you shoot or even have teal over in the US but a teal call works very well and is easy to use. Practices as much as you can, and when shooting always have your calls handy. The hail and come back call should bring them in with a feeding chater to reasure them!
Instead of getting gloves try and harden up your hands. That way you can do with out them and really apreciate them in really really cold weather.

DONT USE STEEL ITS C*** and the ducks deserve more. Tungsten, bismuth or if you own Micro soft then maybe HEAVY SHOT

Any way I could go on for ages, so good luck get out there and dont be affraid of cocking up!!!!!

Tomy D

Quick Reply: novice duckhunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.