Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck hunting rivers......

Old 12-27-2003, 06:32 PM

Default Duck hunting rivers......

Ok i live in south carolina........ I hunt deer duck and dove all at the same club. we have swamp and rice fields for ducks but rarely have good hunts. Good deer and dove thought. Ok I live near editsto river and i know people duck hunt there and i would like to try it there. See at my club we can only hunt ducks on sat so this would be a sunday thing for me. i have a john boat and motor. Both pretty big 15 foot boat and 30 Hp... If i was to go and look for a place for next year to duck hunt what whould i look for. I dont know the river too well but it is fresh water. Is there key areas to look for in this kind of place.also what are some essentials to have i only Hunt WOOD ducks. so what kind of calls do i need and junk like that.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:03 AM

Default RE: Duck hunting rivers......

I dont know how wide or river you hunt , but I hunt a small one here , maybe 30 to 40 yards wide...I hunt the mouths of feeder creeks , specially if the come in near a bend in the river...Any oak bottoms in your area? Woodies love acorns , they'll walk on dry ground to get to em , or dip into feeder creeks if there are oak trees on the bank...When you ride the river look for clear spots back in the woods , or dead timber , might be a good beaver slough ...Make sure it isnt posted land before you get on the bank to check it out though...As far as calls go , there are several woodduck calls on the market , but calls wont make a woodduck land in your spread....They're weird birds , they'll either land when the want or wont land at all...You can whistle with your mouth easier than you can use a call though and get em to do a fly over to investigate...With woodies , you bust em when they come through , dont try to decoy them or talk em into your spread...

RKC
Old 01-02-2004, 07:02 AM

u should get a wood duck call they are very cheap and they work really well espesially late in the season when all of the ducks have been called at
Big River Game calls make a really good one and they are really easy to us

Good Luck
Old 01-02-2004, 08:55 AM

they will come in to a mallard call/decoys even if you wanted to just go out and try it without buyin anything extra.