Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Help on how to ID a duck

Old 12-11-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Help on how to ID a duck

I'm just starting to duck hunt a little and during my scouting I have been seeing several different types of ducks. Is there a field guide some where on the web that gives a description and picture of all the different waterfowl species.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help on how to ID a duck

Get a LeMaster Method ID book. You can find them at the Ducks Unlimited Website or other outdoor retailers. They sell for about $10.00. It just takes time to gain that experince.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:58 AM

You will start knowing after a while. When hunting ducks I just look for fast moving wings. Slow moving wings are geese.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:50 PM

I used the LeMaster Method ID book for a long time. I still use it every now and then to differentiate between a Mottled and a Black duck. The more hunting you do the easier it will get to identify the difference between large ducks and small ones. You will learn little things to look for such as white bands and stripes and also the shape of the birds. It is always good the have an experienced duck hunter with you while you are starting out just to make sure you don't shoot something you shouldn't.

There was an article here in the Houston paper not too long ago regarding a hunter, more like a poacher here in Texas. He was stopped by a game warden and he happen to have a few dead birds with him. They went through the norm of checking license and gear. Then the game warden noticed that this guy had shot a Whooping crane. This bird is very endangered! The guy was quickly taken into custody. Not only did he shoot one of the most endangered waterfowl but he also had 4 other ducks with him. He thought the other ducks were okay but he just happen to be hunting the two weeks of the season the were closed here in Texas. I never heard what the punishment was but I would love to find out.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:03 PM

the ducks unlimited website has id info as well.