Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Steel Shot travel distance >

Steel Shot travel distance

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Steel Shot travel distance

Old 12-09-2003, 11:28 AM
bigcountry

Default Steel Shot travel distance

A freind and I duck hunt from a boat in the Cheasapeake bay here in MD. The way you get places to hunt is to go to this big drawing. Well this year we got a bad number, and have to hunt in this cove. The MD rules is you have to be at least 150 yards away from a dwelling. That includes boats. So we hunt in a cove with houses on one side and a yaht club on the other side. We are about 200 yards away from the house and boat club.

I don't feel comfortable hunting here this year. What do you guys think steel shot will travel if shot from an 45 degree angle? Do you think it could pepper those houses or boats. Or even have enough to maybe kill someone? I am shooting 3" mag Remington steel shot number 2's. About 1400fps muzzle velocity.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:07 PM

Default RE: Steel Shot travel distance

They might get a few "sprinkles" now and then at the very most.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:33 PM

I would think you could pepper them a lot. I have been peppered by shots that were further than that. I do not think you would hurt anything or cause damage - if that were the case the blind wouldn't be there at all. Do you have access to a field or an open area - maybe go out and shoot once or twice and see what the shot will do at 200 yds.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:58 PM

I think you would be fine. You wont hurt anyone. After about 75 yards the BB's scatter a lot.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:15 PM

Sorry guys ... wrong answers.

As an example, 3" #2 steel pellets with a MV of 1,275 fps will puncture human skin at 144 yards.

If you happen to be shooting #2 HEVI-SHOT ... it will puncture skin out to 204 yards. Remember, the larger the diameter the pellet the more retained energy in ft/lbs each pellet has and therefore the more damage one can do.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steel loads are so crappy I can't even knock down ducks with it from point blank half the time...

But if you are in doubt or worried about hurting or damaging something...go to another spot...don't take the chance unless you're sure it'll be safe for others and their property...
Old 12-10-2003, 07:59 AM

Steel loads are so crappy I can't even knock down ducks with it from point blank half the time...
Amen Froman! I agree whole heartedly on the steel shot. The hevi-shot isn't bad but it's not worth the 2.00 a shell they're charging.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Don't worry about it! The chance of the shot even making it there is slim at best. Even if it does make it there. The retained energy will almost be nill. That includes shot size's up to T. It's the law of gravity here. X weight accelerates to X distance then tops out. That's why rain and hail don't punch holes in concrete. I've taken on enough "steel rain" at much closer ranges to know.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:58 AM
bigcountry

Even though guys, peppering houses is not what I want to do either. I wouldn't want someone peppering my house or cars. And when you really think about it, a greenhead or bufflehead isn't worth the risk. My buddy and I decided to face our blind in one direction. If they fly past, well they are just gone unless they are like buffleheads flying right off the water. Thanks for all the information.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:33 AM

Worc says "don't worry about it". I'll tell you one thing, I'd sure be worrying about it, as it seems you are. Steel will travel that far. Will it do damage, maybe not. But, I live near some great dove hunting, and have had my house peppered by careless, disrespectful "hunters" who also thought their shot wouldn't travel so far. It sucks! Especially if these homes have young children as I do.

Do yourself a favor, trust your gut instinct and go hunt somewhere else. Let's weigh the options....A duck vs. an adult or child injured???? Seems simple to me!

Quick Reply: Steel Shot travel distance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.