Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Steel Shot travel distance >

Steel Shot travel distance

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Steel Shot travel distance

Old 12-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Steel Shot travel distance

Maybe I should have been more clear or stated the obvious. Dont worry about it within reason. In other words don't shoot at a target when the house is right in line with you. I don't advocate any unsafe hunting/shooting practices. I would still hunt the spot and position myself to shoot over the open water. The last thing we as hunters need to do is give the "anti's" fuel for the fire.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:38 AM
Banned

Deleted spammer

Last edited by Bocajnala; 06-20-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:54 PM
Spike

distance, lack of density are all reasons that I won't use steel shot any longer.....
I used a lot of HeviMetal and HeviX and I am more than pleased with how
each performs
Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 AM
Spike

I think that eventually you will see a ban on lead in all hunting pursuits. It has come to pass
on Federal Lands and the ground swell seems to indicate that it will spread. There is no
doubt that hevishot makes a superior shot component for shotgun shells but I wonder
if it will do so for rifle and pistol ammunition
Old 10-14-2018, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Anyone who thinks that steel shot or the variations will not travel 200 yards doesn't know what they are talking about especially when shooting at high angles in the air. In my state if you drop shot on someones home or in their yard you are in violation of the safety zone law, which says you cannot shoot into or through a safety zone which is 150 yards. I do not know what MD's law id for distance from a residence or occupied building. As for froman who said steel shot is lousy and will hardly kill at point blank range, must be a man who is still shooting the steel shot from the early 80s, modern steel and the variations most certainly will kill waterfowl with no problem. I shoot SXS guns so I will not use steel or any of the variations, so I use Bismuth shot and have been since it came on the market. If the op is hunting outside the MD law safety zone, the only smart thing to do is not shoot in the direction of any houses or buildings.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-14-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:58 AM
Spike

I agree with Winds about the steel shot....I have seen way too many crippled ducks over the years to ever go back to that shot
The best option that I have found is the Hevishot Brand of shotgun shells. They make several different price point offerings
and each of them are extremely effective. I cannot stand the thought of leaving wounded birds out in the field
Old 11-27-2018, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

I agree on steel shot. Won't ever use it again.

For the OP, kudos!! That is a wise decision and a safe one.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:32 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Google "Tom Roster Table" and stick to your ranges.
Then make sure you pattern your shotgun. and pick the right choke. Steel shot kills just fine.

Yes your shot can travel upto and further than 200 yds easily .
Set your decoys to help prevent shooting in that direction.

JW

Last edited by JW; 11-28-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Spike

I am with you NO more steel. I am an avid fan of the Hevishot family of premium shotgun shells
I have just had such great luck with them
Old 12-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Spike

Steel really isn't as bad as some of you are making it out to be but of course any of the denser heavy shots are going to out perform steel. Personally the premium isn't worth it to me. Between the decoy spreads and calling I never have issues getting them close enough to knock them down with steel.

Quick Reply: Steel Shot travel distance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.