Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

I need advice of dekes...

Old 12-08-2003, 04:50 PM

Default I need advice of dekes...

Hey i was just wondering what your opinion is on certain duck/goose calls and dekes? I have been using some of my dad's old dekes and they seem not to be drawing the birds in as well as surrounding hunters sets. I use different patterns for the dekes according to a book a bought a couple of months ago. It uses things like wind, area your hunting, and a couple other facters to determine the right set. So i don't think thats my problem, i think i is the old not in the best shape decoys.
As far as calls go i am just wondering what you use and and like.

Thanks,
Idaho hunter
Old 12-09-2003, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I need advice of dekes...

You are using you dad's old decoys? What are they made out of? They might need a lot of touch up work and repainting to make them look like new. I have water keeled floating mallard decoys that are tough plastic and the paint has never chipped off them. I also have foam style Feather Flex goose shell decoys, but they kind of s*ck... They are so lightweight, that when laying out in a farm field, the slightest breeze will darn near blow them into the next county! [:'(] Look at Herter's, Flambeau, Greenhead Gear, and countless other name brands for good decoys. Carry Lite's are another brand, but are prone to having paint chip off them.

As far as calls are concerned, I have a custom made mallard call that I had the guy make for me (Watkins Duck Calls). For geese, I have a Big River Goose Flute in walnut. Wooden duck/geese calls seem to sound more natural and not as brittle and bright as acrylic type calls.

....Just my opinion. Good luck!

Butch
Old 12-09-2003, 08:34 AM

Hey Idaho,

I use Haydel calls. I like the double reed mallard and have recently purchased the H-81 Canadian Honker because it came highly recommended by a fellow hunting netter (T.R.). They're both pretty easy to learn and sound great. You can find much higher quality calls for a lot more money but until you learn what you're doing you should probably stick with something like Haydel's.

As far as actually calling, it sounds like you're hunting pressured birds who have seen a lot of decoys/set ups as well as heard a lot of calls. If this is the case, try calling only when absolutely necessary. Sometimes less is more!

As far as the dekes, give them a new coat of paint if you're worried about wear. You can even purchase a new set or two (they've really dropped in price) and rotate them out.

You didn't say how many decoys you're using. I personally have started putting out smaller set ups, especially late in the season. I throw out no more than 2 dozen and rarely put them out according to standard setups like the "J" or hook. I also stay away from grouping them all up, unless it's blistering cold. Where I hunt, if it's not cold and the birds are grouped tight it means that they are alarmed about something. That alone will cause weary ducks to break off and head somewhere else. I put them my dekes out 2 or 3 at a time and spread them out. I also keep several close to shore.

The point of all of this is that you've got to get creative and try something new.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the great replys! i will try searching those brands right away. Christmas is coming you know... lol
Thanks again...
Idaho hunter
Old 12-10-2003, 07:31 AM

Well, the deke issue is fairly easy in that you can get new dekes pretty easily and also repaint the ones that you have as long as they still float. Greenhead Gear are new and cheap and I have several dozen that are working out great. Flambeau are another cheap option that work pretty well, although we've had some problems the last few years with the new ones leaking around the keel. G&H are great but more expensive. Stay away from Carrylite, you'll spend more time repainting than hunting.

As for calling, its going to take a bit longer and some hard work to be effective. Your best bet is to get a good instructional tape or video (I saw a video at Wal_mart for $5) and cheap but decent call and get to work during the off season. A double reed is a good starter call, but a single reed is what you want to shoot for because they are more versatile and effective if you get good. You can even buy a fairly cheap pack that comes with a single reed and double reed.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:46 AM

cool thanks... i am going shopping tomorrow for decoys and calls and a whole bunch of stuff!!!! CAN't WAIT!!!!!
Old 12-20-2003, 01:12 AM

new to this board. I too must have carrylite decoys because... yes the paint has chipped off. any help with what kind/brand paint to re-do them?
Old 12-20-2003, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Use a good primer like Stain Kill, Parker's paint kits are good, Sportsmen Wharehouse carries them, or try Cabelas or Mack's. They are oil based. Or your local art store has oil and acrylic paints.