Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Gettin started

Old 11-18-2003, 02:40 PM

Default Gettin started

Me and my dad are wanting to get started in duck hunting, what do we need to know. We live in south central kentucky. Lake Cumberland is literally a stone throw away from our house. I`ve heard alot of people hunting on the river below the dam.Season opens Thanksgiving weekend for certain breeds then mid-December for all the others. We have a good river boat we use alot for trout on the river and also a boat for the lake.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Gettin started

The best thing to do would be to find an experienced hunter that don' t have a boat and team up. Shouldn' t be that hard to find someone.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

use a fast steel, nothing slower than 1450 fps. use hevishot by remington if you' ve got lots of money. most people use bb~4 in steel for ducks. use no tighter choke than modified. keep the wind at your back or to your sides. don' t shoot at ducks that are far away. don' t use a duck call when ducks are working someone elses decoy spread. if you drop a duck and it' s crippled in the water, shoot it again. have fun.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:22 PM

Read, listen to other hunters and keep trying. Eventually you will find help as well as what works for you. And buy a dog.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

the best way I' ve found is to get out and hunt. Reading books and listening to others will help, but not as much as actually getting out and putting out spreads and seeing what the birds do.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Spike

I just got started into ducks this year and the best info I have gotten has come from hunting with a couple guys that have been doing it for long time. Also reading forums and asking questions of the guys here and other places.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:55 PM

Two pieces of advice that the others have not covered, first learn to identify different species of ducks. A trip to the local library or bookstore could help with this as well as duck identification sections on various websites, including this one. If you can identify the ducks you do not have to worry about shooting a pintail before the december opening for pintails (I hunt in Henderson, NW KY). The second piece of advise is to check out Ducks Unlimited. Joing DU could easily put you in contact with others in your area to hunt with and learn from. You can find contact info for your area on DU' s website [www.ducks.org] Good luck and welcome to the fun. Once these ducks get into your blood.......
Old 11-22-2003, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Come on over to the " T.R.' s Tips" board. and read everything I' ve posted on ducks, duck vocalizations and duck calling, then ask ask any questions you want.

Teaming up with an experienced hunter will help. Join the local sportsmens club or ask at your local sporting goods store for someone to join up with.

Your gonna need a camouflaged boat, camo clothes, probably waders or hip boots, calls and decoys. I' d be glad to suggest gear on my forum. In fact we have a gear review on it that should help.

God bless and good hunting,

T.R.