Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Waterfowl Gun

Old 02-14-2022, 06:25 AM
Spike

Default Waterfowl Gun

Looking at getting a new waterfowl gun before next season. Would like to keep it under a grand, any recommendations for an affordable waterfowl shotgun? Thanks in advance, Bryan
Old 02-14-2022, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by KSBuck1977
Looking at getting a new waterfowl gun before next season. Would like to keep it under a grand, any recommendations for an affordable waterfowl shotgun? Thanks in advance, Bryan

Any shotgun that you can shoot well can be your waterfowl gun in any action but I would not recommend a single shot. You don't really have to buy a gun that is labeled as a waterfowl shotgun by the manufacturer and you don't need a 3 1/2 inch magnum that will break you when buying shells.

With your budget of around a grand there will be lots of acceptable. I hunted waterfowl for years with my two side by side 12 ga. guns that I also used for upland birds and sporting clays. The key is, can you shoot it well. If you have friends thet had a gun you like the look and feel of asked if you can fire a few rounds at clay birds and if you find one that works for you, get that one.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been using a Win Model 1300 pump for decades. They don't make them anymore but you can get a used one for a couple hundred bucks. They aren't fancy and they aren't pretty but they go bang when you want them too even if they are wet and muddy and they come with various choke tubes. Mine is scratched, has missing bluing and light surface rust due to fresh and saltwater exposure but when I toss out the decoys this is what will be in the blind.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:36 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input. I'm not that into fancy and have given thought to shooting an old pump gun. The semi I've been shooting for the past 5 or 6 years I bought from a pawn shop and it's been a good gun, just ready for something different. My waterfowl buddies all shoot Beretta's and like to tease about my shotgun, but it kills just as many. I did break down and buy a Beretta over/under for pheasant hunting and I do love that gun and it feels so good in your hands. Not many pheasants around anymore, think I may spend more time in the future chasing ducks and geese.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

I picked up a SBE3 this season and once I figured out the shims its been good. Not a single hiccup and I have shot hundreds of rounds in single digit temps. I bought the wife a Beretta A300 Ultima and it has been good as well but I haven't had it out on the cold days since she is a sleep in kind of gal when the weather turns lol.

I was using a Stoeger M3500 and the only problem I had was when it got real cold the spring wasn't strong enough to strike the primer. I replaced the firing pin and hammer spring and it hasn't missed a beat.

Best thing I can say is get what makes you happy. Go handle a few different ones and get the one that is most comfortable to handle. I prefer the inertia just for the ease of cleaning and reliability. I really, however, felt more comfortable with an old A5 and if it wasn't for the cheap feel (to me) of the wicked wings version I would have ended up with that. Really like that hump back for lining the target up.
Old 02-20-2022, 06:06 AM
Spike

I have been using a Remington Versa Max for the last 8 years
It has been 100% perfect

Light weight and low recoil
It is a 3 1/2" shotgun
But I have shot less than 2 boxes of 3 1/2" shells
As I feel that 3 1/2" shells are not needed

The only fault I have found was the front bead
Remington in one of their cost cutting BS moves
Used plastic for the front bead
So one cold day in the marsh I bumped the front bead on the blind and broke it off flush with the barrel
The hole for the front bead was threaded
So I replaced it with a TruGlo

John
Old 02-21-2022, 12:14 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input. Just looked up the Versa Max, nice looking shotgun and will keep that in mind. Got some time to do some research as I'm not in a big hurry to purchase one. Bryan
Old 02-25-2022, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Benelli Black Eagle (and super black eagle) are getting to be a staple for serious waterfowlers. However if you want to save a few $$ for basically the same gun you can get a Franchi Intensity. Franchi is owned by Benelli and the gas system is the same on each. And if you don't want to spend too much money there ain't nothing wrong with a 3 1/2 Rem 870.
I'm going to send you a PM.
Old 02-25-2022, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you haven't found one yet I sent you a pm and have a super sweet deal for you
Old 02-27-2022, 04:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
If you haven't found one yet I sent you a pm and have a super sweet deal for you
Just sent you a PM, thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.