Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Gun advice

Old 03-03-2021, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrbb
My question here would be how serious do you plan to get on waterfowl?
and what loads do you plan to shoot
2-3/4"-3" or 3.5 inch??
and are you wanting a gun that will hunt other things?

or be a strictly a waterfowl gun
dedicated to steel shot and likes?

I mean I will never say I was a Die hard duck/goose hunter, but I have traveled a lot of places chasing them and hunting them

But I simply used a shotgun I already had and just made it work
none of the geese or ducks i shot I think noticed LOL

I simply used a rem 11/87, and has a extra barrel camo coated, and a good choke ( forget what exact model) that gave me good patterns with the round of my using!

then if I wanted to hunt other things with same gun, I was just swapping barrels

but I think you can do this to about any gun you like, as long a sit cycles your round of choice
so many options on chokes these days, one can make things better by swapping them to match your load!

I would want a gun that fits ME better, than buying one that is claimed to be a better so called waterfowl gun?
thing one might want in a dedicated waterfowl gun, would be a durable finish
which again, can be added to a gun you already have if wanted

when you get into more true dedicated design 3.5 guns, the price tags rice up and like most higher end guns, they tend to work well, but fit is more what is an individual deal maker or breaker
so, its about going and handling them and see what you like best

all the top guns from brand name makers are GOOD shotguns these days!, many models have been around a LONG time due to this reason

NOW if your not sure what a GOOD fitting shotgun is or means
I'd suggest going to a GOOD gun shop that has a good shooting instructor that can show you , while your there while holding different guns to see and know what and where things are off , so you get the info and understand it better

but everyone has what they feel is GOOD for hem when shouldering things

basically I tell folks, see how things feel when you shoulder gun with your eyes closed and then open them, after settled in
where are sights, where is your hand on stock, shoulder on stock, cheek on stock, finger on trigger, safety?

the more things that line up for you the better fitting the gun maybe is for you!

keep in mind that when shouldering guns in shops, make sure your wearing like clothing you will be hunting in
as layers of clothes can sure change how a gun fits you!

I would also suggest this,
when your buying a HIGHER end shotgun, its worth yourt time and $$ to find a GOOD shop that knows shotgun and fitting of them

there are shops that cater to HIGHER end shotguns, and stock hundreds if not thousands of them in stock(I know of a few, but none in your area) think places that cater to sporting clay and skeet shooters on a larger level!

but going to a shop like this, that has tons of high end over under/side by sides
you tend to get more knowledgeable folks on shotgun fitting!
not to mention you get top FEEL the differences in designs in shotgun stocks!

when I had my shop, I sent a LOT of buyers to a shop about 5 hours away from em to go see and handle and select a gun that fit them
some DID buy there, MANY came back to me and I ordered the gun for them!
as honestly, many shops that stock THAT much high end inventory, have HIGHER price tags than I did on same guns!
so, I never was scared to send a customer to another shop,
the customer typically won, they got to learn and handle guns they were considering before buying, making sure it fit and they wanted it
they also got to see a selection of guns, most never even knew existed
and then came back to me to buy an save $$$ and got the gun of there dreams or one they just wanted that fit like a glove!

if you have any GOOD sporting clays courses near you, many of them places have good on sight shops that sell and know how to fit a GUN to you!
or know of shops that can
over just a basic gun shop/smith!
That makes sense. Definitely not in a hurry. An all around gun would be nice but I have an 1100 I have used on doves and upland and recently got a nice winchester 20g as my go to turkey gun. So I guess the new family member could be a dedicated waterfowl gun with the option to change chokes to match the situation in case something else came up.

I went with the Stoeger M3500 to have that 3.5" capabilities just incase but I haven't really had a need to use it yet as 99% of my waterfowl loads this past season has been 3" and I have been knocking around the idea of maybe trying some bismuth in 2 3/4. I guess recoil could be an issue on follow up shots as well but I have only noticed that affecting me a little this past season.

Right now I have found that turkeys have overtaken deer as my passion but waterfowl was so much fun it may be right up there. Whether it will stay I couldn't be sure but man I had a blast trying for the different species. Would love to get after elk one of these days before I can't walk the mountains and from what I have been told it is like turkey hunting on steroids so I'm sure that would be up there too. I guess you could say hunting is my drug and I am addicted bad. Ha
Old 03-23-2021, 08:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Same thing happened to the Stoeger. It would go click and strike the primer but very soft. The round would go off but not all the powder would burn and the wad wouldn't make it out the barrel. Wonder if its a flaw of the inertia system? I gave it a good cleaning and didn't have anymore single digit mornings and never had another problem. Even took a spill in the thick mud in Cali and still worked well after rinsing it off in the marsh lol.
...thats a shell issue, not the gun.
Soft strikes in the cold is usually oil on firing pin has thickened..don't oil pins
But the primer went off so....did you get your shells wet?
Old 03-28-2021, 07:42 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Fogie
...thats a shell issue, not the gun.
Soft strikes in the cold is usually oil on firing pin has thickened..don't oil pins
But the primer went off so....did you get your shells wet?
In my case, it wasn't soft strikes. The firing pin had no issues functioning. It was the bolt actually freezing to the point of not cycling. In essence I had a very expensive single shot.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by RedneckGeek1
In my case, it wasn't soft strikes. The firing pin had no issues functioning. It was the bolt actually freezing to the point of not cycling. In essence I had a very expensive single shot.
I know that on late season elk hunts I completely spray out my bolt gun and run it dry, no oil.
My 1100 did the same as your semi a couple of times, went back to my 870 because I didn't want to shoot the semi dry..save it for quail and chukar where it's usually nice out.
The rotary bolt guns will ice up and stick, I have heard.
As of late, had issues with the 870..it's 35 years old and getting sloppy. Shells were sometimes sticking, gunsmith buddy said could be blahblahblahblah...picked up a Cynergy Wicked Wings on his recommendation, says it will be my last duck gun and then some.
Old 03-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Kelly I used a Rem 11-87SP 3" 12 ga for many years then went to a rem 870SP 3 1/2" 12 ga. I've shot a lot of duck and geese with both in addition to a few turkeys. I still have the 870 but I also Purchased a Franchi Intensity which is the same operation system as the Benelli Super Eagle (both owned by the same company) for a couple hundred dollars less than the Benelli. Unfortunately overlapping hunting seasons and taking out grandkids hunting have stymied my waterfowl hunting for a couple years so I can't tell you how the Franchi performs.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Any gun and any choke will work as long as you pattern the gun and try different ammo. I use a biakal MP-153 and used to be sold on Hevi-steel B's but once I patterned it I found out why I missed a lot of ducks. I found Kent #1's pattern great in my gun and factory chokes and I use BB's for resident only hunting.

You don't need an expensive gun or after marlet chokes, but you need to pattern them to see how they are shooting various loads you put in them.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

One thing I did forget to mention. Waterfowl hunting can be hard on a gun. If not in a case it can get jostled around in a boat. (hopefully its unloaded), gets mud on it just because of the surroundings, dogs come out of the water and shake themselves off on it Be extra careful of a dog's saliva. It will rust a gun fast.
A good cleaning and total wipe down and sometimes strip down is necessary on a daily basis.. Sometimes you may even have to take it down and wipe it in the blind.
I remember one time I was hunting a spot were a small creek emptied into the river. I only had 4 dekes out and I was getting ready to leave. I slung the shotgun over my shoulder and grabbed my decoy bag. Water was about waste deep. As I got close to my decoys I saw a small group of ducks coming down the river. I bent over grabbed my call and gave a few notes to them. They turned locked their wings and were coming right in. At about 40 yards I reached for my slung shotgun and it slipped off my shoulder (an Ithaca Mag 10 at the time) and dropped into the water. I grabbed it, dumped the water out of the barrel and folded a pair of those black ducks. One of those memories you never forget.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Ended up replacing the firing pin spring and all is good. Still ended up purchasing a SBE3 for myself and an Beretta A300 Ultima for the wifey. Both seem to be awesome once fitted correctly. Only downside with the A300 is I had to remove the recoil reducer to get it to fit her and now it kicks quite a bit more than with it in. Guess I'll be shopping for a pad for it now ha.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by archeryrob
Any gun and any choke will work as long as you pattern the gun and try different ammo. I use a biakal MP-153 and used to be sold on Hevi-steel B's but once I patterned it I found out why I missed a lot of ducks. I found Kent #1's pattern great in my gun and factory chokes and I use BB's for resident only hunting.

You don't need an expensive gun or after marlet chokes, but you need to pattern them to see how they are shooting various loads you put in them.
Interesting. I have a Benelli Nova that wouldn't pattern steel shot or Hevi-Shot well. Actually, it didn't do that well with lead past 20-30 yards. I put in a Hevi-Shot aftermarket choke and it helped some. I didn't consider trying different sizes of shot, just used what I had on hand. May have to revisit that issue now.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:27 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Cal make sure you try the improved cyclinder CHOKE.
That made a huge difference in my SBE. I also dropped a supplied shim.to change the POI.
One thing most shooters dont do is pattern. They dont spend the time eith different manufactured loads and different chokes to really find the best pattern. If they did they would find most tmes the cheaper steel load is just fine.
i teach a class such as that for the state of Wisconsin offered rhru the DNR.
Do look at the Tom Roster's table.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...m-aYuUaEZYy5uv
That man has shot thousands of rounds from all the manufacturers with different shotgun choke combinatins at different yardages.
Taking the time to pattern at 30 and 40 yards will help understand your best POI.

JW

Last edited by JW; 12-17-2021 at 04:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.