Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Gun advice

Old 12-20-2021, 11:05 PM
Spike

Pre duck season, a few of the guys would setup a claybird machine. A great way to get your eye In, we use steel No2 #3 field loads & modified choke. Clays are easy to hit at close range but the further away the target gets, the more lead you give & follow through with your target. Good shotguning.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

Test post ******* test post
Old 12-24-2021, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Interesting. I have a Benelli Nova that wouldn't pattern steel shot or Hevi-Shot well. Actually, it didn't do that well with lead past 20-30 yards. I put in a Hevi-Shot aftermarket choke and it helped some. I didn't consider trying different sizes of shot, just used what I had on hand. May have to revisit that issue now.
I attached a pattern of one I did years back. Hevi-steel B, full choke and Modified at 40 yards. I drew a duck size target and that is about a 30" circle. I was shocked how open my pattern was on Modifed. I could find one of the Kent 3" #1's I use now, but it was much more dense.

That said, a different round might work better in your Nova than did in my Baikal.
Attached Thumbnails Gun advice-hevi-steel-4-full-40-yards-115.jpg   Gun advice-hevi-steel-b-40-yards-mod-29.jpg  
Old 12-24-2021, 11:13 PM
Spike

Try different shotgun shell brands and shot size, for that pellet density you prefer. Its challenging to place the shot pattern on the bird in flight, hopefully to get the best value out of your shotgun. I use a Beretta A300 Xtrema & maintain the shotgun myself, this model has 3:internal chokes Full, Modifd, and Imp:C. I can't use steel shot through a Full choke only Modified and Imp.cylinder, or purchase a after market external choke for steel shot.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone who has their inertia shotgun freezing up in the extreme cold, it's because you are using the wrong oil. Switch to Birchwood's synthetic and only use a little and your problem will be solved. If you don't believe me, call Benelli customer service and they will tell you the same thing. Your new SBE should be awesome and a lot easier to clean than you Beretta but the Beretta is an awesome gun.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:14 AM
Spike

same heree! My first one was Remington 870