Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Need advice from waterfowl hunters >

Need advice from waterfowl hunters

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Need advice from waterfowl hunters

Old 12-11-2020, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need advice from waterfowl hunters

I have a dilemma. Yesterday, I was able to take two geese. However, I was only able to process one last night due to time constraints. It was freezing temperatures last night, so I put the other goose outside so I can process it in the morning.
However, with the goose body heat, and the temperature outside which was freezing last night, I don’t know if the meat is still good anymore.

What do you guys think? Is it safe to eat?
Jared
Old 12-11-2020, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I suspect it will be fine. In some countries hunters hang their ducks and geese not in a heated area for days before plucking and gutting them. Not my cup of tea but they claim it makes them more tender. I have a friend who ages his doves in the vegetable drawer of his beer refrigerator for a week before he cleans them. He claims it improves the flavor, he has done it for years and he is still healthy.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-11-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jnicholes
I have a dilemma. Yesterday, I was able to take two geese. However, I was only able to process one last night due to time constraints. It was freezing temperatures last night, so I put the other goose outside so I can process it in the morning.
However, with the goose body heat, and the temperature outside which was freezing last night, I don’t know if the meat is still good anymore.

What do you guys think? Is it safe to eat?
Jared
Hi Jared we were conducting geese control on our neighbors farm, i had to gutted 19 birds to make sure the stomach contents don't make the birds go off and I plucked them the next day.
Old 03-17-2021, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

That's what I would have done. Get the guts and the "nasty" stuff out. The meat will hold fine in those temperatures.

-Jake
Old 06-13-2021, 08:17 PM
Spike

Yes, it is safe to eat. Freezing temperature won't harm your meat while heating temperature does. So nothing to worry at all!