Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Two days until duck and goose >

Two days until duck and goose

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Two days until duck and goose

Old 10-17-2020, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Two days until duck and goose

As the title says, it’s that time of year again. Two days until duck and goose season. I plan on going out opening day to one of my fields.

it’s officially that time of year again. I love duck and goose season! I have been practicing my calling, and my aim by clay pigeon shooting.

I’ll let you all know how the hunt goes.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do that. I like to see folks improve in what they like to do.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Speaking of improving,

Do you think there is any room for improvement with my calling?
Old 10-18-2020, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is room for improvement in your hail call, your feeding call and goose call are pretty good but keep listening to the real thing and try to mimic them. As far as your hail call, it starts too fast and stays too fast and it is monotone. What the ducks are essentially saying is HEY hey hey hey ect. The first hey being the loudest and stretched out a bit then the next a little lower etc. Get you voice into the call it should be like EHHHH Ehh eh eh. The bolded call being the loudest and stretched out a bit then drop the volume as you continue.. You will be amazed at the difference using your voice through the call makes in the sound. If I call a lot I get a bit horse from using my voice. Also learn to make a good quack and use it occasionally after the hail call.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-18-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
There is room for improvement in your hail call, your feeding call and goose call are pretty good but keep listening to the real thing and try to mimic them. As far as your hail call, it starts too fast and stays too fast and it is monotone. What the ducks are essentially saying is HEY hey hey hey ect. The first hey being the loudest and stretched out a bit then the next a little lower etc. Get you voice into the call it should be like EHHHH Ehh eh eh. The bolded call being the loudest and stretched out a bit then drop the volume as you continue.. You will be amazed at the difference using your voice through the call makes in the sound. If I call a lot I get a bit horse from using my voice. Also learn to make a good quack and use it occasionally after the hail call.
thanks for the input. I’m glad to know that my practicing goose calling made a difference. According to one of my hunting partners, he said I had a long way to go when it came to learning about calling. I’m glad I got my goose call better, I guess it’s the duck call I need to work on.

Im leaving at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning to get to the field. I’ll let you all know how the hunt goes when I get back.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Opening day didn’t go that well. Oh well, I’ve got an entire season.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Yep, it is early yet.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

as they say its hunting some days are good some are better and well, some make you wonder if you know what your doing LOL
Old 10-21-2020, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Maybe you used up all your luck on that nice bear you took

-Jake
Old 10-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the support guys. I might wait until my partner who is a better caller than me can come hunting.