Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Caring for wooden duck calls >

Caring for wooden duck calls

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Caring for wooden duck calls

Old 06-23-2020, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Caring for wooden duck calls

So, I went to a thrift store today and found an old wooden duck call. It has a metal reed. Excellent sound in my opinion

I heard that wooden duck calls require specific care. Is this true?

If it is, how do you care for wooden duck calls?
Old 06-24-2020, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have hunted with wooden calls all my life, in fact my most expensive one is wood. I have never done anything except if they get wet, I pull them apart to let them dry.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

That's good to know. I thought you had to pull them apart after every time you go out hunting to let them dry. Thanks for the advice! I can't wait to try it out when hunting season comes along in October.

I'll post a video of the sound later, if you guys want to hear it.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jnicholes
That's good to know. I thought you had to pull them apart after every time you go out hunting to let them dry. Thanks for the advice! I can't wait to try it out when hunting season comes along in October.

I'll post a video of the sound later, if you guys want to hear it.

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Apologies, I have been very sick. Wasnt sure if it was COVID19 or something else, but now that I am better, heres the video.

My calling is still a little sloppy, and I am still learning the ropes of Duck and Goose calling, but its okay, I am willing to learn and I am practicing.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Suggestion,use your diaphragm as opposed to just blowing and talk into the call with your voice. For example, on the hail call say ey ey ey into the call which will use your diaphragm, for the feeding call, say tucka tucka tucka as fast as you can.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Suggestion,use your diaphragm as opposed to just blowing and talk into the call with your voice. For example, on the hail call say ey ey ey into the call which will use your diaphragm, for the feeding call, say tucka tucka tucka as fast as you can.

thanks. I'll try it. As I said, I'm still learning the ropes.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

We all had to learn, it is not something we are born with.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Exactly! We all have to learn somewhere.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Most old calls were treated like the wood fishing plug makers treated the lures. You had about 60% boiled linseed oil with 40% mineral spirits and submerged it for a bit to soak it up. Some guy use different oils and some soak them a few days. Then left to dry and the linseed oil stayed in it. You could re-oil it if you if you thought it needed it, BUT you would need to remove the reed and put it back. If you don't know much about tuning a call, I would leave well enough alone!!

It is probably just fine as it is if you let it dry good after using it and take care of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.