Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Want to Start Duck Hunting... >

Want to Start Duck Hunting...

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Want to Start Duck Hunting...

Old 04-09-2020, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default Want to Start Duck Hunting...

Hey guys and gals, I want to get into duck hunting this coming fall but I don't really know where to start. I'm planning on buying a Benneli Supernova 12 gauge for my gun, but I'm not exactly sure what other equipment/brands are needed or good. Any tips and advice is welcome and appreciated!! I am an experienced deer and coyote hunter, and I've shot trap before so it's not like I'm completely new to the hunting/guns/outdoor life. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of the most expensive hunting sports out there. Going to need decoys for sure. Boat and waders are generally necessary too.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

The first thing you will need to do is learn to ID ducks in the air since not all ducks have the same bag limit. then you will need decoys and to learn how to call, a boat would be a plus as well. I recommend you find an experienced waterfowler to mentor you.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-09-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% with Oldtimr,
knowing what you can shoot is huge part of duck hunting
NOW< something your not mentioning is, what type of waterfowl hunting will you be doing and where>??
will you be hunting wild ducks, or plan on doing pay for hunts!?
are you hunting from a boat?, out of a blind?
jump shooting?
will you be on the ocean/ large lakes, rivers, streams
pond
potholes?
lots of different tools needed pending where and what type of hunting your going to do

do you have a DOG to retrieve them?
or HOW do you plan to get them if they land in the water??

all things you need to think about,
then, the supplies needed for the type of hunt your planning will have to happen

be them, , a DOG to recover downed birds, a boat or likes(canoe, ) waders?(life vest should be on MUST have list if near water)
calls, decoys, correct ammo that shoots well in YOUR gun(pattern testing and know limits on range)
and of course, legal rules , season's, and , limits, and so on!

so, lots of unanswered questions here,
you need to answer maybe, to give you maybe better info or help IMO !
Old 04-13-2020, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MatiasMyles
Hey guys and gals, I want to get into duck hunting this coming fall but I don't really know where to start. I'm planning on buying a Benneli Supernova 12 gauge for my gun, but I'm not exactly sure what other equipment/brands are needed or good. Any tips and advice is welcome and appreciated!! I am an experienced deer and coyote hunter, and I've shot trap before so it's not like I'm completely new to the hunting/guns/outdoor life. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the wonderful world of duck hunting! I'm a little bit of a beginner myself, but I can help you out as much as I can. The other people that have posted here have given great advice so far. Here is my advice. First, you need to learn how to identify the Ducks. Each duck has a different limit depending on the species. I would look up the regulations for your area, and see what they have to say. For example, where I live, you can take 7 mallards a day, but no more than two can be hens.

Second, you need to learn how to call ducks. I am mainly a goose hunter, and even then I am still learning to call them.

It takes time to learn to call.

You need some decoys to fool the ducks to go with the calling.

Well, that's all the advice I have to give at the moment. Good luck! Let us know if you need any help or advice.

Jared
Old 06-03-2020, 12:22 AM
Banned

Spammer

Edited.

Last edited by Bocajnala; 06-03-2020 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by giattham24h
The first thing you will need to do is learn to ID ducks in the air since not all ducks have the same bag limit. then you will need decoys and to learn how to call, a boat would be a plus as well. I recommend you find an experienced waterfowler to mentor you.

What are you a parrot repeating someone else's post?
Old 06-03-2020, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
What are you a parrot repeating someone else's post?
It's a spammer. I don't know why they do that... But we've been getting allot like that lately. Sometimes they pull up posts that are years old too, so if you don't read through the whole thing its hard to see that they copied.

-Jake
Old 06-03-2020, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

I am not angry, but are you calling me a spammer?

When I posted that, I didn't realize another person already said it. I was not intending on parroting another person. I was just trying to give advice.

Well, that's what I get for skimming through a thread quickly.

I apologize.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

No I was not speaking to you I was speaking to this clown who repeated my post verbatim. giattham24h

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.