HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Goose calling practice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/423129-goose-calling-practice.html)

jnicholes 03-29-2020 04:46 PM

Goose calling practice

So, I went out to practice my Goose calling with my antique flute Goose call. I turned one flock, and then it flew away. I was keeping my eyes on it trying to call it back. Before I tell you what happened, please keep in mind I am a complete beginner at goose calling.

I was calling and calling, and my sister, who was with me, said, "Jared, look behind you!"

I looked behind me, and about 15 geese swam near the dock I was on.

I called in my first flock!

I'll post a video later of how I called them. Any tips to help me improve my calling will be appreciated.

Jared

Oldtimr 03-30-2020 04:31 AM

The best way is to go to a place that has Canada geese and sit down and listen to them and try to match what the birds n the water do when they are calling to other geese in the air, you will be able to pick out different calls, also listen to them when they are on the ground or water talking to each other when feeding, that is also a useful call when finishing them over the decoys. The next best thing is to buy a recording of one of the folks who make calls and give instructions on how to call. Better yet do both. I would't put too much stock on the geese that swam near you because they probably are not real scared of people and you want the birds to come to you in the air, not on the water.

jnicholes 03-30-2020 06:15 AM

Good point. Even though they swam over from about 50 yards away, you still have a good point. I need to be able to call them in from the air.

There is actually a place where local geese gather near where I live. It's a stocked trout pond. I can record how they call, and try to mimic it.

Thanks for the tip!

Jared

jnicholes 04-04-2020 09:38 AM

I took your advice and went out and observed calling geese today. I also purchased a DVD of waterfowl calling for beginners.

After watching the DVD, I realized I was honking and clucking all wrong.

I then went out with my call to where some canada geese like to hang out to try what the DVD taught me.

The result? I actually had a single canada goose circling over me multiple times, looking for where the sound was coming from. It was definitely interested!

Now I got to keep practicing till October!

Might as well work on my duck calling also. I want to try to take some more ducks next season. Last season I only took 1 mallard.

Everydaylimits 07-16-2020 05:42 AM

Thats great! Put your calls in your vehicle. Practive every day. This also helps not make the other people mad in the house.