Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Last Hunt of the Season

Old 01-21-2020, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Last Hunt of the Season

Well, its that time of year again. The Duck and Canada Goose season ends in a few days. It was my best season ever. I took 2 Mallards, (1 male and 1 female,) and 9 Canada Geese. It seems like little, but for me, that is a new record.

I have one last hunt coming up before the season closes, so I hope I can make those numbers bigger. This will be the last hunt of the season. I will post all my hunting pictures on another thread after the last hunt.

Wish me luck!

Jared
Old 01-21-2020, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go get them.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Make a thread on cooking goose. I've had it a few times but never any that I would describe as good.

Duck is tasty though.

-Jake
Old 01-22-2020, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

There are two ways I really like to eat Canada Geese. The first way is to pluck the bird, do not skin it. Then stuff the bird with quartered tart baking apples put it in the oven at 350 and baste it with apple cider while it is roasting. Do not over cook, the meat should be a dark pink, medium rare. The next way is to fillet the breast halves, you can skin the bird for this. Then cut the breasts into strips about 3/4 of an inch wide and marinate the breasts strips in Zesty Italian salad dressing for about two hours. Then place on a hot gas or charcoal grill and grill them to no more than pink inside, cut some of your favorite cheese and pour some beer or white wine. This is great eating.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

First off, the hunt is tomorrow morning.

Second off, here are some ways I cook Canada Goose.

I pluck the bird, I do NOT skin it whatsoever unless I am cooking just the breast meat. I poke holes all over the skin to let fat drip out during cooking. I cook it for 30 minutes per 1 kg. I do some math here. Here is a real experience. I took a goose that was 6.2 pounds empty weight. According to the math I did, converting from Celsius to Fahrenheit and kg to lb, I cooked a 6.2 pound goose at 355 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour, 46 minutes, and 5.12 seconds.

When I did the math, (Which I like to do,) It came out as the BEST roasted whole goose I ever had.

Another way to cook them is to make goose burgers out of the breast meat. I actually just made some today. Here is the recipe I use.

https://sportingchef.com/goose-burger/

I have other recipes, but maybe I will take your advice and start a thread for goose recipes.

Jared
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

That last five seconds did the trick

Good luck tomorrow

-Jake
Old 01-22-2020, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry, guys. An emergency came up. I can't do the hunt.

I am done for the season.

I will post my season pictures in another thread.

Jared
Old 01-29-2020, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Make a thread on cooking goose. I've had it a few times but never any that I would describe as good.

Duck is tasty though.

-Jake
See the Camp Cooking forum.