Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Took a Merganser

Old 03-21-2021, 03:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You are not a hunter you are a killer who doesn't care what you shoot. I can see that it was a mistake to even respond to your utter nonsense. BTW, I have hunted waterfowl longer that you have and anyone who wants to learn how to ID ducks in the air can do so and your cavalier attitude does not reflect well on hunters. So, blather on to impress yourself, I doubt you are impressing anyone else here.
🙁....the dog ate your meds?
Old 03-30-2021, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I want to be the devil's advocate here. Merganzers are fish eaters as well as commorants. Around where I live along the Susquehanna river it is teaming with both and the fish population is showing signs that their presents is reducing them. So why not shoot them to keep their numbers in check. Coyotes are shot and not used same as crows, rats and a gew other animals.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:53 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I want to be the devil's advocate here. Merganzers are fish eaters as well as commorants. Around where I live along the Susquehanna river it is teaming with both and the fish population is showing signs that their presents is reducing them. So why not shoot them to keep their numbers in check. Coyotes are shot and not used same as crows, rats and a gew other animals.

That old PETA broad is gonna get you now....she is perfect morally and optically, you know.
Just because she can't gum a merg...
Old 03-31-2021, 07:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Skippy, I would be I have more waterfowling experience than you do and I do not like to see birds and animals shot simply because they are there and mergansers are not putting a hurting on fish populations so just keep your juvenile crap to yourself! First Joe Biden, now you!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-31-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oldtimr I said I was being the devil's advoate. I beg to differ on the fish population. https://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterf...mon-merganser; https://www.answers.com/Q/What_do_cormorants_eat; https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsessi...ing-your-fish;
I drive over one bridge on a regular basis and I've seen as many as 150+ comorants standing side by side across the breast of the dam (I'm a pretty darn good estimator). Not knowing how many are in the water plus you add in the merganzers in the area and that is a lot of fish taken. Both trash fish and game fish like bass, perch, pike, pickerel, musky etc.that never get a chance to grow.
And just for the record I never said I shot them I just said that those animals were not used sans maybe coyotes for their pelts. As a kid I heard of several people going to the landfill and shooting rats with their 22s but something I never did.

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-01-2021 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bronko, my response was not directed at you, it was directed at Fogie.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

Really?? Wildlife is not meant to be used for target practice, if you know you aren't going to eat a species that is protected, don't shoot it. You certainly are not a sportsan and please don'r call yourself a hunter with your attitide.

I am a bit late to the argument and since it was stated about not shooting animals and not eating them what about good ole yotes? Definitely agree that no animal should be just target practice though.

Now I eat most of what I take but I draw the line lol. I also won't eat the hogs I take but I will donate them to a buddy that likes them.

As far as waterfowl I am kind of new to the sport and have found that if the meat doesn't taste too good to soak in saltwater for 3 days then make jerky. Seems to have helped with some snow geese anyway. Good luck in your hunts.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:53 PM
Spike

Bronko, my response was not directed at you, it was directed at Fogie.
..except that you made a feeble attempt to address the thing that he opined.
You aren't a hunter, you are a killer..you already said that you wouldn't eat a coot or a merg because you can't cook or some ridiculous blather meant to impress someone. You shouldn't be in the field with a gun if you would refuse to eat what could be shot incidentally.
You profess of perfection in your bird ID skills, I highly doubt that is fact. Yep...
You are a killer, not a hunter...for shame.

Last edited by Fogie; 04-01-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

You have just proven my opinion of you, you are one excuse after another. You have the same excuses as all the other so called duck hunters that can't tell what they have shot till is is dead on the water because you are afraid if you take the time to identify what you shoot you will lose the shot. No reason for any more dialog.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:04 PM
Spike

You have just proven my opinion of you, you are one excuse after another. You have the same excuses as all the other so called duck hunters that can't tell what they have shot till is is dead on the water because you are afraid if you take the time to identify what you shoot you will lose the shot. No reason for any more dialog.
You need to eat what you shoot and quit losing mergs and coots in the bushes, okay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.