Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Took a Merganser

Old 04-02-2021, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Fogie I'm sorry but Oldtimr is right. You absolutely need to know how to identify the waterfowl species you shoot. And resulting in making rude comments is no way to act in a forum. My advice is go in the off season and just watch the ducks and learn and watch videos on the subject. You should be able to easily identify coots, merganzers, teal, woodies, mallards, pintails and the rest. If you can't you have no business in a blind. The Federal Wildlife has no leniency when it comes to shooting illegal game or going over your limit.
And if you won't eat it don't shoot it. Or at least cook it for your dog. Maybe he'll eat it..
Old 04-02-2021, 02:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Fogie I'm sorry but Oldtimr is right. You absolutely need to know how to identify the waterfowl species you shoot. And resulting in making rude comments is no way to act in a forum. My advice is go in the off season and just watch the ducks and learn and watch videos on the subject. You should be able to easily identify coots, merganzers, teal, woodies, mallards, pintails and the rest. If you can't you have no business in a blind. The Federal Wildlife has no leniency when it comes to shooting illegal game or going over your limit.
And if you won't eat it don't shoot it. Or at least cook it for your dog. Maybe he'll eat it..
I can and do identify birds before shooting, but being human and not shooting over dekes...sometimes a merg dies. Nothing illegal, no hawks or cormorants, sometimes a merg before I can call the kids off or just don't differentiate between one and a diver flying low and fast down the river. Sometimes if shooting is slow, I'll let the kids shoot them for fun, to watch some retrieves, a sub-par dinner or dog treats. Screw any a-hole who wants to talk ****e about that. The biologists who actually know something say I can shoot seven a day if I want to, ignorant old doofus here be damned.
Seems like something he doesn't like to do is being wasteful, but as far as I am concerned he can eff himself..-)))

Been doing this plenty long, nothing goes to waste and no cranky old lunatic is going to make me feel guilty about anything I do. Long enough to know how to not over limit per species, or any other way. Have spent every day between Thanksgiving and season's end bird watching for 36 years since buying my duck camp, so...doubtful that I am in need of more to say what is what.
Look back at this thread and see who started the rudeness..he was acting like a fool before I even commented. "Killer not hunter" seems to be something he throws out as often as his back I bet. Read through and get back to me.
Mergs are legal and edible, no matter what his ancient highness of excellence thinks.

Last edited by Fogie; 04-02-2021 at 03:15 PM.