Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Mallards-Green head call

Old 01-10-2020, 12:14 AM
Spike

Default Mallards-Green head call

Hi to all waterfowl lovers.
I am a hunter from Cyprus and want to see if anyone can help me or send me a good mallard call that will really attract those birds close to me. We hunt in a public area (with some small ponds) and around 500 meters in front of me there is a game reserve area with many ponds which has several type of ducks but mainly green-heads. Many times i can see the birds flying but they rarely come out to out area so that we can hunt them. I try many call but without any success.
Can someone help? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can google Mallard duck calls and you will have more choices than you can imagine. I doubt there is a call that will make the birds come out of a game reserve or refuge . If they have food and shelter there is no reason for them to eave where they are. There are no magic calls that will make a hunter a pied piper. Ducks respond to a call when they are looking for company, I suspect they have all the company and everything else they need inside the refuge. Look at it this way, if you were inside a safe comfortable home, you have food, drink and lots of companionship of both women and men, would you respond to an unknown person outside that you cannot see or know shouting , trying to get you to come outside?

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-10-2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:51 PM
Spike

Hello Oldtimr

Thanks for your reply, all the above that you said are correct. Some birds are coming our from the refuge sometimes because 300 meters behind the area that we hunt is the sea and they are going to fed. those birds we need to attract them but again its difficult.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

You just may be better off just using Mallard decoys and not calling at all or perhaps just using the feeding call, birds that have everything they need where they are, are very difficult to lure into gun range in a different spot.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:44 PM
Spike

Yes, correct i will try to use the feeding call with some decoys to see if i will have any results.