HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Bad day hunting. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/422436-bad-day-hunting.html)

jnicholes 12-29-2019 10:38 AM

Bad day hunting.

1 Attachment(s)
Went out duck hunting yesterday. I was sitting for awhile, and after some time I was like, "Where are the ducks?"

More time passed. I was getting discouraged. I then noticed the reason why there were no ducks around. It was in a tree 100 yards away. Picture is attached.

I was like, "That explains why there are no ducks around! That Juvenile Bald Eagle must have scared them off!"

I didn't get any ducks, but at least I got a good picture of a Juvenile Bald Eagle!

Bocajnala 12-29-2019 11:52 AM

They've got to eat too..

This one was out front Thanksgiving afternoon.

Unpopular opinion, but they're a coyote with wings. They do look nice in pictures though.

I was drawn to hunt a waterfowl refuge one time for deer and spent most of the day watching an eagles nest through binoculars that was a couple hundred yards away. Impressive birds.
-Jake

Oldtimr 12-29-2019 01:12 PM

For many years I used to hunt a place in MD, a huge marsh, that had a lot of dead snags in the middle. There were usually between two and 5 bald eagles in those snags waiting for crippled ducks. It never stopped the ducks from flying, It would be a difficult task for an eagle to catch a duck in the air.

Champlain Islander 12-30-2019 03:42 AM

They often sit in trees along my shoreline when the ice is just starting out or leaving. Open water along shore attracts ducks and rings the diner bell for the eagles. My wife took a picture a couple years ago when the mama eagle was eating a mallard up in the tree. The 2 juvinals did all their eating on the beach. Next day there were several duck carcasses on the beach all picked clean.

JW 12-31-2019 10:25 AM

I've had eagles rob me of my shot ducks 3 times.
Two I chased the eagle via boat and got my duck back as it was dropped.
I had an eagle take a crippled duck out of the air as I flushed it.
i ve watched eagles dive bomb hards of mud hens (aka coots). Fun to watch.

The duck I lost.
My buddy and I take turns at the ducks we get to decoy. That way when we miss we can tease each other.
Well it was my turn up and we had coaxed a nice flight of Red Heads.
As they flew over the decoys. I shot 3 times.
And I had knocked down a duck on each shot. We all get lucky once and a while.
Well my buddy sent the dog for one duck. I had another stone dead and a Primo drake which was crippled.
So I went for the boat.
As I motored to my dead duck a bs li d eagle swooped down right in front of me a swiped my duck right out of the water. I kicked the 50 hp motor in and the chase was on. I was ticked.
Well he out flew me easily.
So I turned my attention back to my cripple. Of which I never found.
My 3 ducks ended with only one in hand.

And Google on YouTube
Lake Noqyuebay eagle deer kill.
Video of an eagle killingba fawn that was swimming.

JW

JW 12-31-2019 10:28 AM

Eagle kills a fawn swimming in a lake

Oldtimr 12-31-2019 10:50 AM

I used to hunt divers in NJ Barnegat bay, Jarvis sound and a few other places. The big Herring gulls would swoop down on downed ducks and cut out a breast half before you could get your boat started and retrieve them. We had more trouble with them than the eagles in the Maryland marshes.

DuckHunter4Life 08-06-2020 05:41 PM

How many do you think these take out a year?

LindaSkync 08-09-2020 12:46 PM

Bad day hunting

Im kinda new to duck hunting been shooting a few greenheads but i want some geese and there dont seem to be much around my area if anyone has any suggestions of where to go in utah to find some i would appreciate it

Sergey69 08-24-2020 12:13 PM

This may not be a mandatory reason, since the flight of ducks depends on the weather and even on the number of hunters on the reservoir