Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Injured while duck hunting >

Injured while duck hunting

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Injured while duck hunting

Old 11-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those SOSpenders look like a slick idea.
Old 11-29-2019, 07:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Waterfowl hunting can be very dangerous. (also a lot of fun). But you should hunt with a partner especially under those conditions. Many years ago when I was young and daring my cousin and I went trout fishing one winter day. The temp when we left the house was -12*. We both were only wearing hip boots with layers of clothes/socks. Where the water was running in the stream it was open and we were catching some nice fish. At least we were until I slipped and fell into the water up to my just past my waist. We were about 3/4 mile from his truck. I tossed him my rod and he tossed me his keys and I ran for the truck. My legs and feet were so cold they felt like they were in a vise!
Old 11-29-2019, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Waterfowl hunting can be very dangerous. (also a lot of fun). But you should hunt with a partner especially under those conditions. Many years ago when I was young and daring my cousin and I went trout fishing one winter day. The temp when we left the house was -12*. We both were only wearing hip boots with layers of clothes/socks. Where the water was running in the stream it was open and we were catching some nice fish. At least we were until I slipped and fell into the water up to my just past my waist. We were about 3/4 mile from his truck. I tossed him my rod and he tossed me his keys and I ran for the truck. My legs and feet were so cold they felt like they were in a vise!
I do have a partner, but he wasnt with me at the time. Thanks for the advice! It sounds like you had quite the experience too!
Old 11-29-2019, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
How do those inflate ot? Do you have to pull a cord or does it do it automatically somehow?

Like say you fall in unconscious?

-Jake
Some you have to pull a cord that fires off the CO2 cartridge and with some the water causes the cartridge to fire and inflates the vest automatically. Thos are the ones you want because if you are unconscious you can't pull the cord. The automatic SOSpenders are a little more expensive but the difference is not worth not getting the auto.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Had a little fun and wrote a ukulele song about the experience. Its good therapy!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Just letting you all know that I made a full recovery.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you used a wader belt, with a sheath knife attached to it...so you can cut the waders off of you, before it fills-up with water and weighs you down.

Last edited by Erno86; 12-07-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 02-24-2020, 06:47 PM
Spike

Sorry to hear this!
Old 02-25-2020, 03:03 AM
Fork Horn

Guy's, one of the better solutions we found was
to place a rod or walking staff in each blind.
To be use when you go collect your ducks.
This can help you balance and prevent those slips.
It can also be used to test the water depth ahead of your next step.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.