Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Injured while duck hunting >

Injured while duck hunting

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Injured while duck hunting

Old 11-26-2019, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Injured while duck hunting

Hey,

So, as the title says, I was injured while I was duck hunting on Sunday. Here is what happened:

I shot a male mallard, and it fell in the water. I got my waders on and went out to get it. While in the ice cold water with my waders on, I slipped and fell in the water completely. Struggling, I had to abandon the duck and swim back to shore. No duck is as important as my life.

I almost died, but I was able to make it to the shore. It was a near death experience. Very scary.

I am letting you all know I am okay, and I made it out with only a big bruise on my leg that is very painful.

Be safe while you are hunting.

Jared
Old 11-26-2019, 09:42 AM
Spike

my condolences, sir.
we are but mortal
be careful
Old 11-26-2019, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the condolences. I'm sure I'll get better soon.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by jnicholes
Hey,

So, as the title says, I was injured while I was duck hunting on Sunday. Here is what happened:

I shot a male mallard, and it fell in the water. I got my waders on and went out to get it. While in the ice cold water with my waders on, I slipped and fell in the water completely. Struggling, I had to abandon the duck and swim back to shore. No duck is as important as my life.

I almost died, but I was able to make it to the shore. It was a near death experience. Very scary.

I am letting you all know I am okay, and I made it out with only a big bruise on my leg that is very painful.

Be safe while you are hunting.

Jared
Looks like you found out why you should wear a pfd in cold water in the winter. If you are shooting over water, a canoe or small boat is a better idea than waders. I hunt ducks out of a boat and I wear chest waders and a PFD and I have been in cold water in December. You cannot be too prepared.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Looks like you found out why you should wear a pfd in cold water in the winter. If you are shooting over water, a canoe or small boat is a better idea than waders. I hunt ducks out of a boat and I wear chest waders and a PFD and I have been in cold water in December. You cannot be too prepared.
To be honest, it didn't occur to me to have a PFD. I guess I learned something today!

You're right. You cannot be too prepared.

Anyway, I am sure I will recover soon. It just takes time.

Thanks for the advice!

Jared
Old 11-26-2019, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you're okay and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Also, good choice on letting go of the duck. Like you said, not worth your life.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck of a wake up call. Glad you're okay. It seems like very few years, some older guy falls out of a boat into a high elevation lake while fishing and the cold water temps hocks their heart and they die.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

The thing to have if you are going to be on water, especially cold water is SOSpenders the kind that inflates as soon as you hit the water. They are light weight and you really don't even think about them when you have them on. they are perfect for hunting because they are not as bulky as regular PFDs and you can shoot while wearing them. I wore a set when I helped a friend bring his 42 ft sail boat back from Bermuda to MD. I wore it for 6 days and We hit a full gale a half a day out of Hamilton and were in it for almost 3 days and I wore it all day and night. They cost more than the standard PFD but they are worth it. https://www.landfallnavigation.com/s...w-harness.html

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-27-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

How do those inflate ot? Do you have to pull a cord or does it do it automatically somehow?

Like say you fall in unconscious?

-Jake
Old 11-28-2019, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Never heard of those kinds of waders. I'll have to look into it.

Anyway, my leg is a little better today. Still in pain, but a little better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.