HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Injured while duck hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/422227-injured-while-duck-hunting.html)

elkman30 11-28-2019 12:48 PM

Those SOSpenders look like a slick idea.

bronko22000 11-29-2019 07:02 AM

Waterfowl hunting can be very dangerous. (also a lot of fun). But you should hunt with a partner especially under those conditions. Many years ago when I was young and daring my cousin and I went trout fishing one winter day. The temp when we left the house was -12*. We both were only wearing hip boots with layers of clothes/socks. Where the water was running in the stream it was open and we were catching some nice fish. At least we were until I slipped and fell into the water up to my just past my waist. We were about 3/4 mile from his truck. I tossed him my rod and he tossed me his keys and I ran for the truck. My legs and feet were so cold they felt like they were in a vise!

jnicholes 11-29-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4365610)
Waterfowl hunting can be very dangerous. (also a lot of fun). But you should hunt with a partner especially under those conditions. Many years ago when I was young and daring my cousin and I went trout fishing one winter day. The temp when we left the house was -12*. We both were only wearing hip boots with layers of clothes/socks. Where the water was running in the stream it was open and we were catching some nice fish. At least we were until I slipped and fell into the water up to my just past my waist. We were about 3/4 mile from his truck. I tossed him my rod and he tossed me his keys and I ran for the truck. My legs and feet were so cold they felt like they were in a vise!

I do have a partner, but he wasnt with me at the time. Thanks for the advice! It sounds like you had quite the experience too!

Oldtimr 11-29-2019 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4365538)
How do those inflate ot? Do you have to pull a cord or does it do it automatically somehow?

Like say you fall in unconscious?

-Jake

Some you have to pull a cord that fires off the CO2 cartridge and with some the water causes the cartridge to fire and inflates the vest automatically. Thos are the ones you want because if you are unconscious you can't pull the cord. The automatic SOSpenders are a little more expensive but the difference is not worth not getting the auto.

jnicholes 11-30-2019 08:10 AM

Had a little fun and wrote a ukulele song about the experience. Its good therapy!

jnicholes 12-04-2019 08:44 AM

Just letting you all know that I made a full recovery.

Erno86 12-07-2019 09:57 AM

I hope you used a wader belt, with a sheath knife attached to it...so you can cut the waders off of you, before it fills-up with water and weighs you down.

Oldtimr 12-07-2019 02:31 PM

:lolabove::happy0157::lolabove:

LegendHunter 02-24-2020 06:47 PM

Sorry to hear this!

RaySendero 02-25-2020 03:03 AM

Guy's, one of the better solutions we found was
to place a rod or walking staff in each blind.
To be use when you go collect your ducks.
This can help you balance and prevent those slips.
It can also be used to test the water depth ahead of your next step.