Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting. >

Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.

Hello all,

I moved to Annandale/Alexandria about two years ago. My friends and acquantainces are all people who have never been hunting or shooting. I grew up in South Carolina and my hunting has consisted mostly of whitetail, I have been on one dove hunt and enjoyed it a lot. While I haven't done much bird hunting I do have my own pump shotgun, and I am pretty good at shooting clay pigeons.In short,I know about hunting and firearm safety and have all my own gear, butdon't knowmuch about waterfowling, which I would like to get into but don't know anyone.

Any advice on public hunts or hunting opportunities that would allow me to break into this sport? Thanks.

-Andrew
Old 03-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.

No help?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Stonewall308

No help?
South Carolina is tough duck hunting. And unless you are looking to chop some divers and have a big rig, NOVA is even harder. The difference being there are plenty of places you can hunt in SC... but in NOVA... you got blind laws and you are pretty well hosed.

I hunt on the Mattaponi, and I can tell you it is pretty well sewn up... I also hunt along the Nansemond, in the Bay, along the James, Chick and Paumunky.... and not to sound like a tool, but the few places I do know of you can slip in... I'm not telling you or anyone else.... because well.... they are my spots, and thats why I kill ducks and lots of other folks don't.

The way it goes around here is that in order to kill ducks you either need money (old money from an old VA family usually), friends with money, or you pretty much have to do your work and put in the scouting and networking time.

The old guard around here doesn't take kindly to panhandlers. I'm sorry I know this sounds harsh, but that is just the way it is. We all had to work our tails off to get what we have, and that is constantly being erroded away by people who are disrespectful of the laws and the ethics around waterfowl hunting. If you are not familiar with the blind laws in Virginia.... then thats a good place to start researching.

If I had it to do all over again, or if I were in your position... I tell you where I'd hunt.... Canada.

Save your money... take some vacation.... hire an outfitter in the dakotas or canada. You'll see more birds in a week up there than you would in a great season here, and you'll kill more birds in a week than you would in a good 30+ morning season here too. You'll save money, time, blood pressure points, and a whole lot of heart ache in the mean while.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Hunting sure is a funny sport. On Monday, Wednesday, andFriday you read articles about the oldtimers being depressed that no young folks are interested and complaining about how their traditions are dying out. On Tuesday and Thursday young folks get called panhandlers for asking about general info.

I wan't asking for the longitude and latitude of your secret spot. Nor do I give a damn about the "old guard" who would rather me go elsewhere;you have theright to exclude on private land but not on public land, so tuff cookies.

Thanks for the info Duval, its a starting point.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting sure is a funny sport. On Monday, Wednesday, andFriday you read articles about the oldtimers being depressed that no young folks are interested and complaining about how their traditions are dying out. On Tuesday and Thursday young folks get called panhandlers for asking about general info.

I wan't asking for the longitude and latitude of your secret spot. Nor do I give a damn about the "old guard" who would rather me go elsewhere;you have theright to exclude on private land but not on public land, so tuff cookies.
It is tough cookies for you... because per the law... we can exclude on public water. Better get to reading those blind laws pal.

You were not asking for 'general info'. You were asking where to hunt "public hunting opportunities". That is called 'cyber scouting'.

I never called you a panhandler either... I said that the folks you will be hunting with don't like panhandlers.... cruise on over to duckhuntingchat.comon the VA page and shoot a PM to Big Shorty and ask him for a spot to hunt.... he'll tell you whatever you want to know

Reading comprehension is a critical skill if you are planning on waterfowl hunting in VA, because the blind laws are quite confusing to a layman. And unless you'd like to be arrested for criminal tresspass... EVEN IN 'PUBLIC WATER'... you'd better know those laws inside and out. Because 'public water' when it comes to waterfowl hunting... is largely a myth.

Waterfowl hunting is anything but dying out in this state. It is growing faster than any other form of hunting. And it is getting to the point that nobody will allow you into a club, to duck hunt at all.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Reading comprehension is the lamest internet insult in the book, SwampRat. It sure is funny that some "old guard" boso gets offended by "cyberscouting,"yet goes around throwing out internet handles of people on other forums like it is somea high schoolpopularity contest. We are all really impressed by your knowledge of the "blind laws" and familiarity with"Big Shorty;" you seem really proud of your mastery of something that is supposedly "confusing." I guess achievements are few and far between for someone who leads a life so trivial that theyget their kicks patrolling the internet to disuade fellow hunters.

Next time you are showing someone your Weblow merit badge as you are trying to arrest them for criminal trespass on public water, be sure to mention "Big Shorty." I'm sure they will be as impressed as I.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the polite heads-up Duval. I booked a fall goose huntin MDwith my work the other day, so we will see how I like it. Getting private property of my own isn't out of the question in the next couple years, especially if the interest rates stay low. I am mainly just looking to get some basic experience.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reading comprehension is the lamest internet insult in the book, SwampRat. It sure is funny that some "old guard" boso gets offended by "cyberscouting,"yet goes around throwing out internet handles of people on other forums like it is somea high schoolpopularity contest. We are all really impressed by your knowledge of the "blind laws" and familiarity with"Big Shorty;" you seem really proud of your mastery of something that is supposedly "confusing." I guess achievements are few and far between for someone who leads a life so trivial that theyget their kicks patrolling the internet to disuade fellow hunters.

Next time you are showing someone your Weblow merit badge as you are trying to arrest them for criminal trespass on public water, be sure to mention "Big Shorty." I'm sure they will be as impressed as I.
No need to name call here, we are all a pretty good group of guys. Don't get all bent out of shape. You have obviously taken this entirely the wrong way. I might be from a VA family, but to call me a part of the 'old guard' is way off... the old guard are the people hunting by king's grant rights and the big riparian owners. I am neither one. I got my blinds and my spots by hitting the rivers and lakes and keeping my nose in the wind and my eyes on the sky. Thats what you are going to have to do, because nobody is going to give you much of anything when it comes to duck hunting in this state. Not if they have any common sense anyway.

I don't troll the internet trying to disuade other hunters. Come down off that holier than thou thought and think rationally here.

Infact, I was going to PM you and invite you along to one of my blinds during the early goose season simply as an act of good sportsmanship... because I've been there before. But you know what... forget it bro. Good luck to you... with an attitude like yours, I think you'll fit right in up in Northern Virginia.

Quick Reply: Moved to Northern Virginia, would like to begin waterfowl hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.