Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
6 month old lab/border-collie mix trainable? >

6 month old lab/border-collie mix trainable?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

6 month old lab/border-collie mix trainable?

Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default 6 month old lab/border-collie mix trainable?

I have a 6 month old black lab/border collie mix that i have had for about a week and a half. I want to train this dog to retrieve and a little bit of blood trailing. If i follow the water fowl series or the smart works series would I be able to train this dog to retrieve considering his age being 6 months instead of 8-12 weeks and also him being mixed instead of a full-bred?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

you have opened up a very broad subject .. I am a retriever trainer , not professional but good . anyway.. step 1 is neuter if not already done....now does the pup go after an object if you throw it? if so does he pick it up and at least turn around? a dog will only do what she/he was born to do .. it really is not hard to train a dog to do what they was born to do .. especially a retriever ..if you want to hunt w/him it's a lot of fun work .. lots of versatility , land , water , blind retrieves , hunting out of boats, multiple marks ,diversions ,honoring, the list goes on , i'm sure you'll find what he does naturally and he'll be great at it . we'd love to hear back from ya.. maybe a video and yes about the age .. I know you can still teach a 6 mnth old lots and lots .. in fact all mine learn their whole life

Last edited by davidg; 01-25-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

As said, is the dog interested in retrieving? You'll find people that get show labs and they show little interest in retrieving some times. You can teach them by making it fun.

6 months is just beginning and they learn better than small pups. I found with mine they learn at 6 month and 9 months, but once over a year or so, they mature and learn so much quicker and better.

You should start with the program and focus on the basics, retrieving for fun, and obedience. Sit, stay, hold and no. Many self trainers just go past these as they see what dogs DO, but ignore how steady some dogs are and take that for granted, but its important. Sitting still, not breaking and small things like this are hugely important. You're dog could have fantastic genes, but if he's running around and not staying still you won't shoot ducks.

Everyone talks about blinds and different drills, but I would rather have a dog half trained that will sit still until told to move, likes to retrieve and knows hand signals and NO. Simple stuff in the retrieving world, but its the basic of a good hunting dog for waterfowl, IMO.

Last edited by archeryrob; 01-25-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lab/border

This pup should be very trainable and versatile. Many hunters are using mixed breeds to get a dog better suited for their needs. So, you should be confident that your dog can be useful.

The one poster recommended neutering. This is not good advice for a young dog. (Questionable advice for one over two years of age.) But if you really want this done you should wait until the dog has grown.

The best advice is pick a training program you like and stick with it. Play retrieving can have it's place at that age. But when the serious training begins play time has to be over. As soon as the weather permits start working on water love. The pup may already love the water but there can hardly be too much.

Like the second poster said steady in the blind is one of the best skills a retriever can have. It is also something you can work on at any time. Having the pup lie quietly at your feet while you watch the news or surf the web is time well spent.

Another issue to address is introduction to the gun. Many ways to do this but the basic idea is start small and from a distance and gradually move closer and bigger. Having something to distract the pup like a bunny to chase is a good idea. Another one is to enter it with a proven stable dog. This way the pup sees that neither you or the other dog is concerned about the noise. Be sure you don't flinch when the guns goes off. lol

Good luck and put a few pic's up when you get a chance.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
This pup should be very trainable and versatile. Many hunters are using mixed breeds to get a dog better suited for their needs. So, you should be confident that your dog can be useful.

The one poster recommended neutering. This is not good advice for a young dog. (Questionable advice for one over two years of age.) But if you really want this done you should wait until the dog has grown.

The best advice is pick a training program you like and stick with it. Play retrieving can have it's place at that age. But when the serious training begins play time has to be over. As soon as the weather permits start working on water love. The pup may already love the water but there can hardly be too much.

Like the second poster said steady in the blind is one of the best skills a retriever can have. It is also something you can work on at any time. Having the pup lie quietly at your feet while you watch the news or surf the web is time well spent.

Another issue to address is introduction to the gun. Many ways to do this but the basic idea is start small and from a distance and gradually move closer and bigger. Having something to distract the pup like a bunny to chase is a good idea. Another one is to enter it with a proven stable dog. This way the pup sees that neither you or the other dog is concerned about the noise. Be sure you don't flinch when the guns goes off. lol

Good luck and put a few pic's up when you get a chance.
the man said pup is 6 mnths... talk to your vet , she/he will advise on that , but now is the time ..look it up and see the vet .. she'll say sooner the better
Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

i think the op is out lookin for his dog now .. dog probably out lookin for a girlfriend

Last edited by davidg; 01-26-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:32 AM
Spike

Labxboarder are training dogs. Bloodline of labs are generally easy to teach and so is the border collie. 6 mos.is still young and even a 2 year old dog is teachable.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Probably be a good goose herder.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by davidg
the man said pup is 6 mnths... talk to your vet , she/he will advise on that , but now is the time ..look it up and see the vet .. she'll say sooner the better

If your vet recommends altering a puppy. Find a better vet.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

Spaying or neutering can be done as early as a few months old, dog owners should consult with their veterinarian to determine the best age to spay or neuter their pet. Many vets in the U.S. recommend spaying or neutering be done between 5 and 9 months of age. AKC's Canine Health Foundation conducted research that indicates there may be long-term health benefits to spaying or neutering dogs after they have passed through puberty.
At what age should a dog be spayed or neutered? Spaying or neutering can be done as early as a few months old, dog owners should consult with their veterinarian to determine the best age to spay or neuter their pet. Many vets in the U.S. recommend spaying or neutering be done between 5 and 9 months of age.May 26, 2016
that's 2 articles copied and pasted boss ..maybe your vet knows something nobody else does

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.