Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
16ga, 20ga, or 28ga shotgun for geese? >

16ga, 20ga, or 28ga shotgun for geese?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

16ga, 20ga, or 28ga shotgun for geese?

Old 03-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Good advice.I know here in SW Pa. there are sportsman clubs that have trap and skeet shoots literally every day of the week open to the public.That is a great place to check some out and the shooters would be more than happy to help you.Good luck.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wildwings, I have to question how many geese you have ever shot. I have killed a lot of them.

"it is no problem to shoot geese with a sub gauge shotgun if you
use a premium shotgun shell like Hevishot......you can expect
very good results even on a larger bird".

The above quote from you is nonsense. A 28 gauge for geese is a ridiculous idea to even think about. I don't care it you are using shot made from spent nuclear fuel. No person who calls them self a sportsman could possibly entertain hunting geese with a .28 gauge shotgun.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hunting geese for well over 40 years and have lost count of how many I have harvested a longtime ago. Most of this done with an 870 with 2 3\4" shells. It can still be done so perhaps sticking to this size of round will help reduce recoil.

RB
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Wildwings, I have to question how many geese you have ever shot. I have killed a lot of them.

"it is no problem to shoot geese with a sub gauge shotgun if you
use a premium shotgun shell like Hevishot......you can expect
very good results even on a larger bird".

The above quote from you is nonsense. A 28 gauge for geese is a ridiculous idea to even think about. I don't care it you are using shot made from spent nuclear fuel. No person who calls them self a sportsman could possibly entertain hunting geese with a .28 gauge shotgun.
Speak about nonsense. Call them in close and take appropriate shots with their feet down and wings back peddling. A .28 gauge will do just fine at 25 yards and less. When young, my friends and me shot many geese and ducks with .20 gauges.

To the OP, you are going to find noticeable difference between felt recoil from a pump action (any action other than semi) and a gas-operated semi-auto. Also, there is noticeable felt recoil between shot shells for sporting clay/trap and those commonly used for waterfowl. There is a difference between shooting with a t-shirt and a coat.

I like the idea of going to a range to shoot. When my daughter practices with her turkey gun, I start her with 2 3/4", low brass shells in the chamber. After a few shots, she shoots the 3" magnums.

No need for a dog. Only a well trained dog should be on a hunt. Decoys and calling are a must. If in the right area, a dozen is sufficient. You can decoy ducks with goose decoys.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

rogers, I use a .28 ga. all the time and I have killed hundreds of quail, chukars, doves and a few pheasants. Even for pheasants the gun is limited in range. I have hunted ducks and geese for over 40 years. There is a big difference between a .28 ga and a 20 ga, much more shot and you can get a 20 ga in 3 inch. Anyone who would use a .28 gauge shotgun to hunt heavily feathered and large birds such as Canada geese is irresponsible and so is anyone who would advise they do so. Perhaps you have no problem with wounding birds with an undersized for the task at hand firearm, I do.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although most of my waterfowl hunting (ducks and geese) is with a 12 gauge, I occasionally will take a 20 gauge with 3" Hevishot shells. The 12 has a bigger payload and hits them harder but the 20 works. I am not a "skybuster" and do not take passing shots at 60 yards with any shotgun.

My wife uses 20 gauge shotguns and has piled up waterfowl very nicely with one. She has some very nice semi-automatic shotguns but always takes her little 870 Youth model (pump action) for waterfowl.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 03-21-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
rogers, I use a .28 ga. all the time and I have killed hundreds of quail, chukars, doves and a few pheasants. Even for pheasants the gun is limited in range. I have hunted ducks and geese for over 40 years. There is a big difference between a .28 ga and a 20 ga, much more shot and you can get a 20 ga in 3 inch. Anyone who would use a .28 gauge shotgun to hunt heavily feathered and large birds such as Canada geese is irresponsible and so is anyone who would advise they do so. Perhaps you have no problem with wounding birds with an undersized for the task at hand firearm, I do.
You've made your point and touted your "expertise" twice. We get it. Post your opinion and move on. No need to reply to everyone who disagrees with your opinion. I shoot for the head not the body. Only need one pellet to the brain to kill the bird.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

There went any credibility you may have had. No conscientious hunter using a shotgun goes out thinking if they hit game with one pellet that is good enough. Just because you can use a /28 ga to hunt waterfowl doesn't mean it is a good idea. No hunter who knows anything about how a shotgun kills would even make a statement that all it takes is one pellet, especially for hunting waterfowl that is notorious for absorbing shot and keeping on going, let alone geese which are bigger and take more shot than ducks. I recommend you stop pretending you know what you are doing just because you post videos on you tube or where ever, because some novice may believe the nonsense you posted regarding waterfowl hunting.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-21-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, you are a fowl person... haha pun intended. Guess I must go get me a 10 gauge so I live up to your expectations of me.
Old 03-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, all you have to do is use a tool that is up for the job. I have no expectations of you other than to know what you are talking abut when giving advise to a newbie and it os obvious tat will not happen. However, keep it up, each post drops any credibility you may have had, you may even be at a negative number now. Tell me, how Many Canada geese have you killed with a .28 ga. shotgun? If you actually ever hunted Canada geese with a .28 gauge shotgun, how many did you cripple? After all since you recommended a .28 ga. to a novice you should at least have some experience and good success at hunting under gunned.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-26-2018 at 03:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.