HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Ear Protection??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/415022-ear-protection.html)

chrissheerman 07-31-2017 07:01 AM

Ear Protection???

HI everyone.
Im just curious as to peoples thoughts on this subject.
I live up in New Hampshire and this will be my first season trying duck hunting a couple friends have offered to take me and tech me the basics. So ive been picking up things for duck hunting to get started and one of them was a set of electric ear muffs that are supposed to help you hear and protect your ears when you shoot. I told the guys what I picked up this weekend for stuff when I mention the ear muffs all of them said they wear no ear protecting and think its not worth me using the muffs I bought. Is this common for duck hunting?? I was thinking shotguns are loud and unlike deer hunting where I only plan one 1 shot I'm assuming there will be multiple shots fired close to other people that are also firing shotguns. I thought it was a good idea to buy ear muffs but figured Id see what all of you thought because my friends are making me feel like a moron for wanting to protect my hearing while duck hunting..

:hit:

Oldtimr 07-31-2017 07:16 AM

You tell your friends that when their ears ring 24 hours a day they just may wish they had worn hearing protection. I started wearing it a bit too late and now I wish back when I was a young man I would have worn it because I have Tinnitus, mine is a constant hissing noise. I was wearing hearing protection before the problem started but noise damage to your ears is cumulative and the damage that is done is always there and one day out of the blue, bingo, tinnitus. Wear your hearing protection.

chrissheerman 07-31-2017 08:26 AM

Thanks i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only that thinks its a good idea.
Honestly after working at some noisy machine shops even though I wore ear plugs there I found out at the new shop I work for after they had a shop wide hearing test I found out my left ear is already worse than a coworker that's almost twice my age.

laduckblaster 08-08-2017 01:00 PM

Use ear protection, you wont regret it...people can poke fun all they want but when they can't hear or end up with a constant ring they wont be laughing then.

TN Lone Wolf 08-10-2017 07:13 PM

Electronic earmuffs are nice, but I find that you really have to figure out where to set the adjustment knob. Too low, and you won't hear well. Too high, and it gets very annoying after a while. You honestly might be just as well served by buying a standard pair and slipping them on when your buddies spot ducks and begin calling them in.

My dad rarely ever used hearing protection when he went hunting. It's definitely taken a toll on his hearing.

antGone 08-20-2017 04:12 PM

Ear protection is a must I must say. Unless you want to lose your hearing power, you should protect your ears. It won't effect instantly, but gradually.

mallardmadness 08-27-2017 06:40 AM

Hearing protection is MOST important. I have a custom set of hearing aids made for
hunting and love them

hunter177 08-28-2017 06:46 PM

Hearing Aids

Definitely use them. I'm in the same boat, my first year too and I'm planning on wearing mine this Friday for doves and any waterfowl hunting I do too. Especially since you may be closer to your hunting partners in dove and waterfowl hunting.

wingswild 09-09-2017 02:22 PM

ear protection with the ability to hear are the best one's to get

salukipv1 10-13-2017 03:32 PM

not sure it's a good idea, but I've heard it's more important for your lead ear to have protection than the other ear.

Ie., right handed shooters left ear protected.

Oldtimr 10-13-2017 03:37 PM

It is not a good idea. Both ears need protection.

redmag 10-15-2017 02:57 PM

I have hearing loss but from old age according to the audiologist. I am not so sure of that because I used to work around heavy equipment, jack hammers and drills. Anyway, I now have hearing aids and they help a great deal. The hearing protection I currently use is a set of Howard Leight hearing enhancers/protection. I can hear turkeys gobbler that i could not before and the blast of the shotgun is very muffled. I think I got mine from Amazon

wingswild 11-12-2017 06:13 AM

take a look at
soundgear.com

lsv_palana 08-16-2019 11:21 PM

I have a constant noise in my ears. I tried to use ear protector to prevent this noise to get louder. But when hunting geese i need to hear them in air to start calling them. And i always forget to put ear protectors before shooting. Noise wil not get louder and i forget about protectors at all :)

lsv_palana 08-16-2019 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by mondaraguila (Post 4359244)
I think a noise-canceling earplug help us to protect our hearing a lot. Anyone one has any idea about tinnitus?

Tinitus in my ears for 6 years. It was like hell when it starts.. now i live with it very good ... i have visited a lot of doctors, even world famous doctors.. all of them says - you can not get rid of this noise and i will live with tinitus all you life. That answer helps me. Now i dont care about tinitus.. Do not wear ear protector. Noise in my ears doesnt get louder.

Oldtimr 08-17-2019 02:32 AM

I have had it for a long time. The only thing that helps is when I have two Scotches in the evening, it goes away for a couple of hours. I have hearing aids that play un synchronized chimes, that helps a little to take your mind off the noise.

CalHunter 09-01-2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by lsv_palana (Post 4359635)
Tinitus in my ears for 6 years. It was like hell when it starts.. now i live with it very good ... i have visited a lot of doctors, even world famous doctors.. all of them says - you can not get rid of this noise and i will live with tinitus all you life. That answer helps me. Now i dont care about tinitus.. Do not wear ear protector. Noise in my ears doesnt get louder.

A lot of truth in that. There are some OTC meds that can help but nothing seems to take it away. After a while, however, you learn to ignore it or not think about it. I don't know that it can't get worse as I've been pretty diligent at protecting the hearing that I have left. I do know that i can still get a ringing in my ears if I don't use hearing protection when shooting.

For hunting, I use Walker's Game Ears. They help you hear more sounds around you and seem to work okay for rifles and shotguns that aren't ported. I don't own a ported rifle or shotgun so cannot speak to how well they work for them. I do know that they don't quite cut if for shooting a centerfire pistol. I don't currently hunt with a pistol so that's not a problem. When I'm on the range or target shooting, I still use electronic ear muffs.

Oldtimr 09-02-2019 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by lsv_palana (Post 4359635)

I hope you know that your tinitus may not get worse and I don't think that is true,but your hearing can get a lot worse if you do not wear hearing protection, without it you are just heaping damage on top of more damage. On day you may not be able to hear anything but the ringing in your ears.

Manu 03-19-2021 12:50 AM

Ear Protection 👂

Hey there we use open semi auto's on Canadian geese 4x shooters in our group, so we use electronic muffs to suppress our shotguns. & you can hear really well like geese approaching you from a long distance away. A great tool to save your hearing and you can turn them down or off if your fiends talk too much.

EnyaRi 10-26-2021 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Manu (Post 4389488)
Hey there we use open semi auto's on Canadian geese 4x shooters in our group, so we use electronic muffs to suppress our shotguns. & you can hear really well like geese approaching you from a long distance away. A great tool to save your hearing and you can turn them down or off if your fiends talk too much.

I often have tinnitus. So thaks for advice. Any other good tips?

EnyaRi 11-20-2021 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by BrightV (Post 4398178)
Like many other people, I didn't think much about my hearing protection when shooting. When I started experiencing tinnitus, I addressed an audiologist who told me that I need to wear earplugs, otherwise it might lead to hearing loss.

Actually, I always use earplugs. Nevertheless, it once happened they didn't protect me. So I frequently struggle because of it.

EnyaRi 11-21-2021 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BrightV (Post 4398178)
Like many other people, I didn't think much about my hearing protection when shooting. When I started experiencing tinnitus, I addressed an audiologist who told me that I need to wear earplugs, otherwise it might lead to hearing loss. Usually, I use Decibullz custom-molded earplugs. They are easily and quickly fitted to the exact shape of my ears which creates a perfect fitting. Also, there is a number of electronic muffs that work for hunting.

I heard this is a good brand. Thanks!