Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
I saw my first Canada goslings of the year today >

I saw my first Canada goslings of the year today

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

I saw my first Canada goslings of the year today

Old 04-10-2017, 03:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I saw my first Canada goslings of the year today

In a pond not far from my home. They were a little smaller than soft balls so they have been hatched for a week or so.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

than I take it they are the non-migrating greater Canadian transplant nuisance geese.
RR
Old 04-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, they are resident geese.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

A mainland friend calls them Golf Course Crapulators.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's about all these resident geese are. They make a mess on docks, the beaches, golf courses, and are very nasty and intimidating if you get anywhere near their little ones!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

However, they taste just like the migrants.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
However, they taste just like the migrants.
Yes they do!!! My group of yearlings are flying around already. They been hitting a small wet spot in the corn field behind my house every day. Love to drink coffee and watch n listen to them as I drink my morning coffee or am out in the pool. Just so long as they don't try to land in the pool we will be OK!!!!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

The non hunters gripe about the resident Canada Geese,most waterfowl hunters are very happy to have them, they gave hunters an extra waterfowl season. Remember, those geese just didn't appear and become resident geese. For the most part, they were the result of states wanting to start goose flocks in their state. The geese they got were one of the subspecies that did not migrate. Prior to that we had no resident geese. My state built a waterfowl management area in the southeast part of the state. They made trades of Grouse and Turkeys to other states for geese. What they got were geese that did not migrate. Then when PA had an overload of resident geese that has spread out from the management area, PA would trap them and give them to other states that wanted to start a goose population. by the time everyone realized that those gees do not migrate we had them all over the place. Even though they do not migrate to Canada to nest, they do move from contiguous state to contiguous state. It is kinda ridiculous to hear people who hunt these birds and have more opportunity to hunt calling them names like flying rats! Another example of good intentions gone wrong, but beneficial to hunters.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
The non hunters gripe about the resident Canada Geese,most waterfowl hunters are very happy to have them, they gave hunters an extra waterfowl season. Remember, those geese just didn't appear and become resident geese. For the most part, they were the result of states wanting to start goose flocks in their state. The geese they got were one of the subspecies that did not migrate. Prior to that we had no resident geese. My state built a waterfowl management area in the southeast part of the state. They made trades of Grouse and Turkeys to other states for geese. What they got were geese that did not migrate. Then when PA had an overload of resident geese that has spread out from the management area, PA would trap them and give them to other states that wanted to start a goose population. by the time everyone realized that those gees do not migrate we had them all over the place. Even though they do not migrate to Canada to nest, they do move from contiguous state to contiguous state. It is kinda ridiculous to hear people who hunt these birds and have more opportunity to hunt calling them names like flying rats! Another example of good intentions gone wrong, but beneficial to hunters.
100% correct. We used to only see giant Canada geese only during the latter migration. Now we have them all over. When I used to work in Chicago, they were as popular as the pigeons. They would come down and hit all that open water and feed around Chicago and not go any further south. We have a club down by canton Il just off the power plant and see then there. But if the weather does not get brutally cold, they don't come any farther. They stay and nest there come spring time.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy the local geese, easy pickings. Now cormorants are a big nuisance, and mean, those things got teeth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.