Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Excellent Way to Cook That Tough Old Goose >

Excellent Way to Cook That Tough Old Goose

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Excellent Way to Cook That Tough Old Goose

Old 09-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Excellent Way to Cook That Tough Old Goose

I posted this on the "Cooking Forum", but here it is in case you don't go to the cooking forum:

I shot a big OLD Greater on our "early goose" season.
It was certainly going to be too tough to roast, so we boned it out and ran it through the grinder to make GooseBurger. Then mixed it with an equal amount of (Australian) Kobe beef burger (probably any high fat content hamburger would work just fine).
Press into oblong patties an inch thick or so.
Cook it just like Chicken Fried Steak (dip in beaten egg, coat in whatever you like -- bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, ground rolled oats etc)
Pan fry it to medium or medium rare and serve it with "chicken fried steak" gravy.
This is probably the best tasting meat of any kind that I've ever eaten.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds great !!!

............and thank you for using the correct term "boned" NOT de-bone.

Since "bone out" means to remove the bones - I can only assume if you "de-bone" something; that must means you are going to put the bones back in it.

I'd like to come see someone do that - LOL !!!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mmmm....that sounds really good. Thanks for sharing. I might try it with some mallards in the freezer.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The breasts of old honkers makes good jerky and you can toss the wings, legs, back, and bones in a crock pot and make some killer soup.

Last edited by flags; 09-29-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you fillet the breast out of an old goose, or a young one for that matter and slice it into thin strips and marinade it in soy sauce, dry sherry, a couple of cloves of fine chopped garlic and fresh ginger run over a micro plane, about a teaspoon, and black pepper, you can use it to make pepper steak and it is darn hard to tell from beef.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

My recipe for goose: Cut into 1x1x2 inc strips and marinade in worcestershire sauce. I add adobo seasoning which you can find at your grocery store, usually in the mex food isle. Let that sit for a while. pull your strips and slather them end to end with cream cheese, add 1 or two pickled jalapenos, finally wrap in bacon. Oven 350 for about 20-30 mins, depending on how many you have. Use a deep roasting pan as you will get a lot of juice and oil from bacon. You also do not want to overcook or it will be too dry to even stomach. Also, you can do these on the grill. Once again, watch the juice drippings... they will light your coals and burn them real quick like.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 AM
Spike

Default Another option

This option absolutely guarantees the meat will be as tender as a mother's love. Using breast meat only, slice breast in half length wise. Then slice each half into 3 more or less equal chunks to produce 6 chunks from each breast. Smoke the chunks in any smoker for 2 hours without brining them first. Place the smoked chunks in canning jars (I use pint & half pint jars) and pressure can them in accordance with your pressure canner instructions for your given altitude. I do not add anything else to the jars such as spices or sauces; just smoked meat.

The canned goose will last indefinitely without refrigerating or freezing as long as you have a proper seal on the lids. The meat can be used in many different ways. Two of my favorites are to shred the meat right out of the jar and place on a bun along with BBQ sauce, wrap in a paper towel, and microwave it for 30 seconds on high. The other way is to shred it and use it as the meat in an omelette.

I haven't done it yet, but using it as the meat for SOS would also be great. Nobody will ever know it is goose meat from the taste of it unless you tell them but they will all agree it is very good to excellent.

Bon Appetite!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about some pulled goose sammiches?

Ron
Old 11-10-2015, 05:01 AM
Spike

Default Yeah Baby!

That will definitely work!