Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Best Choke?

Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Briley Extended ported Imp. Mod in both 12 and 20ga for 99% of all my waterfowl shooting. I shoot 3" Hevi-Metal 2's for ducks and go down to a Mod for geese with BB's. Later in season when the geese really start flying and the distances start gettn longer, I go to 3-1/2" BB's or B's in HM and drop back to a Light Mod.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:27 PM
JW
Super Moderator

My Benelli does exceptionally well using the IC choke. I also dropped the comb with the shim kit the gun came with as it gave me a better point of impact. I just shot better with it.
And I spent a bit of time at a patterning board.

JW
Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input guys!!! Ordered a Comp-N-Choke in Light Modified so far and still want to order a couple more.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you are hunting over decoys, why are you worried about 60 yard shots? Hunting over decoys should get you shooting within 30 to 35 yards. I use Bismuth #3 or # 4 shot with an improved cylinder choke for ducks and the same choke with BB Bismuth for geese. If you are shooting at 60 yards over decoys, either your decoys are too far away or rigged wrong.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
If you are hunting over decoys, why are you worried about 60 yard shots? Hunting over decoys should get you shooting within 30 to 35 yards. I use Bismuth #3 or # 4 shot with an improved cylinder choke for ducks and the same choke with BB Bismuth for geese. If you are shooting at 60 yards over decoys, either your decoys are too far away or rigged wrong.
For the most part our spreads do their job and bring them in close, here are a couple pics I have. Any advice on them or how I can improve on them is much appreciated Oldtimr. Like I said before advice and input from seasoned guys like you is very appreciated! I was just throwing a wide range of numbers out there in terms of distance to try to figure out what was the most used and best option in terms of chokes, sorry about that!

Here are a couple spreads...these are the only pics I have sorry if they are crappy quality.

I have been using the Comp-N-Choke Light Modified I got and it patterned well and has been doing a great job downing decoying birds. I also just order a Kick's High Flyer Improved Cylinder and thinking about possibly getting a Patternmaster Code Black Duck as well.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only advise I would offer would be on your puddle duck spread, I would not have the decoys that close to shore. I wouldn't have any closer than 15 to 20 yards from shore and leave a nice hole where you want them to land which should be right in front of you. Having decoys too close to your blind makes it easier for the birds to see you on theor approach. It is hard to give advice on a place you have never been but that small bay off to the left looks like it may be a better place to rig if the water is deep enough, especially around that small point for divers with the diver decoys strung out leading into the bay past the point or with puddlers in the middle when the wind is blowin in the direction it is in the picture, it looks like there is some lee in that bay. . As far as the 60 yard shots, I don't take them, if the birds respond to the decoys and or calling and come in, we shoot, if they stay outside the furtherest decoy in the rig, we let them fly, sometimes they will come back, sometimes they don't. The fun of calling and decoys is to make the ducks come to you, if they do that, you win. Long shots in big water usually results in a long chase and wastes time that could better be spent waiting for birds to come to the decoys that probably will be chased away if you are out chasing a cripple. Just the preferences of myself and those I hunt with, not a rule. We have found self limitation instead of having to shoot at everything that zips by make the hunt more enjoyable and more satisfying.

Good luck.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-07-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Oh ok, sounds good...makes perfect sense. I will start doing that from now on, thanks! The bay to the left can be deep enough, but it all depends on the tide. I think when we have my buddies dog we can beach the boat and anchor passed that point and get in there by walking the marsh. We got closer to it last weekend and saw a lot of mallards landing back in there then the tide rose and they all came out of there after feeding.

I feel ya on getting them in close and making your spread work to your benefit. Great feeling when it all comes together and they cup into your lap! My furthest kill shot this season was on a hen hooded merganser that we didn't see coming in at about maybe 40 yards. We flared the group though and no one shot so when they got passed me to the right towards the end of the spread in the second pic above I let one off and she folded, she was the last one in the group of 3.

Here she is:

Thanks for all your advice, I appreciate it!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Well my Comp-N-Choke in Light Mod has been patterning great! Better than the Kicks High Flyer Improved Cylinder Choke I also picked up. Been shooting so much better and am very pleased the difference a good choke that you patterned well with your ammo of choice works out. Still want to pick up a Pattermaster Code Black Duck choke and see how well that patterns as well, but for now I am extremely pleased with my setup and my shooting!

Some pics of some great shooting my buddy and I did last Sunday, we went out in the rain and heavy fog for two hours and did pretty well!

Old 05-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Spike

I use modified with steel shot or other hard shots. It works well for shooting landed ducks on water, and is quite good compromise for shooting flying ducks.

Last edited by DTcker; 05-20-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting landed ducks on the water??? I wouldn't be too proud of that, I surer wouldn't say I did it! A shotgun is made for wing shooting, rifles are made for walking or standing or still game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.