Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
20g duck and goose hunting? >

20g duck and goose hunting?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

20g duck and goose hunting?

Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Spike

Default 20g duck and goose hunting?

My dad got me a 20g and I want to know if it's strong enough for duck and goose. I'm only 11 years old
Old 02-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 20ga. is more than strong enough to kill a duck. I prefer it, to my 12.
But at your age safety should be your overriding priority.
Not enough power to kill a duck or goose.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Shooting 3" shells with 4 shot will kill ducks inside thirty yards. I wouldn't use a 20 for large geese unless they are in the decoys and
very close. Lots of folks say shooting a goose on the ground is wrong. If he's in the decoys, you have him fooled or "finished". Shoot!! Like mentioned before, be safe and have fun.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 20ga is more than enough for both ducks and geese, PROVIDING, they are close enough, decoying/decoyed, and you are shooting the right shells.
I shoot a 20ga and Steel Remington 3", 2's or 3's, for ducks. I shoot my 20ga in Wisc. for geese all the time. I shoot Hevi-Shot 3", 4's or 2's for geese. All birds are shot with a Imp. Mod choke and all birds are decoying/decoyed. All shots are within 30yds. Birds are DRT.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 2eagles
Lots of folks say shooting a goose on the ground is wrong. If he's in the decoys, you have him fooled or "finished". Shoot!!
I could not disagree more.

To each their own, but if someone did that they would not ever be invited to hunt with our group again.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I could not disagree more.

To each their own, but if someone did that they would not ever be invited to hunt with our group again.
100% agreed!!!! Someone lights up a honker or even a duck with my dekes just because it landed, we are having a problem. BUT!! If this critter is clear and it begins to get up and is clear of the dekes, then by all means lay it to it. But if they blast it within the dekes and blows my dekes up, they better have a credit card handy and don't plan on hunting in my pit r boat again!!!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot a lot of ducks with a 20 and a few geese. It will work but you have to be aware that a 20 doesn't have near the number of pellets that a 12 does. So, you don't have as much room for error. When I was shooting geese with a 20 I didn't take long shots and I tried for the head/neck area. The question is, at 11 years old can you wait for the close shots and can you pull off the head shots on geese? Only you can answer that.

As to shooting one sitting in the dekes. I wouldn't do it. not only does it go against my sense of sportsmanship but good dekes are getting expensive and I don't want mine all shot up. But to each his own.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
As to shooting one sitting in the dekes. I wouldn't do it. not only does it go against my sense of sportsmanship but good dekes are getting expensive and I don't want mine all shot up. But to each his own.
Much better chance of bringing a goose down with a broken wing -- best way to break a wing is shoot 'em when they are flying.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:32 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of folks say shooting a goose on the ground is wrong. If he's in the decoys, you have him fooled or "finished". Shoot!!
Remember my answer is to an eleven year old beginner. Probably never even shot at a goose.
I don't give geese a chance to land in my decoys.
And just to stir your pot --- Do you flush your turkeys before you head shoot'm? That DSD flock is $475!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remember my answer is to an eleven year old beginner. Probably never even shot at a goose.
I don't give geese a chance to land in my decoys.
And just to stir your pot --- Do you flush your turkeys before you head shoot'm? That DSD flock is $475!
Point taken and no you didn't stir my pot. And no I don't flush turkeys before killing them. I just make sure they are clear before shooting near the full mounts as well and MUCH easier to do with only 2 dekes at 15yds and pattern the size of a baseball hat!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.