HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   dakota decoys pintail decoys leaking (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/388472-dakota-decoys-pintail-decoys-leaking.html)

Capt. Ken Dempsey 12-29-2013 07:47 AM

dakota decoys pintail decoys leaking

I am a commercial hunting guide in NC and hunt everyday of the waterfowl season. We own thousands of decoys of all kinds. Recently purchased some of dakota decoys pintail floaters and the drakes all leak. Called the company and was informed that if left out for a period of time they will leak. The hens do not leak. For a commercial guide leaking decoys are not a viable option. Company did not offer to replace them buy informed me that I could drill holes in the tails to drain them as needed. Expensive brand new decoys should not leak. In my opinion dakota has a problem with their plastic intrusion process because the hens which have a different head position don't leak. Spoke with the owner of the company whom is a real nice guy and he was very honest with me in telling me that they do leak but this is unacceptable in my business. G and H still makes the best pintail on the market today. Yea they are expensive but they are worth it and they don't leak. Hope this helps with your future decoy purchases and wish all of you good hunting. Capt. Ken Dempsey

JW 12-29-2013 09:44 AM

Understand your dilema
ever try to foam fill leaky decoys?
I do

JIMSWHIM 12-30-2013 12:40 AM

Demand a Refund !

Hi, Jim here in Ohio. Years ago I bought 4 dozen magnum mallards and over half of them leaked. I called the company and talked to the highest up in the company I could,and told them I was shipping them back(at my expense).If they did not refund my purchase price I was going to the media.There was a place in Cleveland,Ohio that was called Live -on -5,or Live-at-5,on TV,and I said your name and my face will be all over the evening news! I had a refund check 3 days after I shipped them back! I told them I might as well paint 4 dozen concrete blocks and use them instead of their decoys! Just a thought for you? Good luck ! How many did you buy? Jim

skiftcky 12-30-2013 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by JW (Post 4112082)
Understand your dilema
ever try to foam fill leaky decoys?
I do

JW is right on point!

I learned this trick from my phone repair guy who is an avid duck hunter. Just buy a few cans of that expanding foam, drill a big enough hole to fit nozzle in the deek, prefferably above the water line but not on the back ( I did it in the breast area) you don't even have to plug the hole, just let it expand out, shave off the excess and paint over if you want. You can literaly put a box full of rounds into it and it will not sink, flip, tip over... if you do this let us know how it worked out for ya.

Capt. Ken Dempsey 12-30-2013 02:04 PM

Leaking dakota decoys

Appreciate the suggestions and I have foamed decoys before but brand new decoys should not have to be foamed. What has happened to quality products being offered.These decoys are not cheap imported decoys but rather expensive decoys made right here in the USA. I really couldn't believe that Dakota didn't stand behind their product but believe me when I say that I intend to spread the word. I hunt and fish over 1500 sportsman a year and I intend to pass the word. I do about 6-8 outdoor shows a year and this will be a topic I will discuss with water fowlers. The other suggestion about exposing the truth to everyone is the route I will pursue. I am an older guide and I believe you reap what you sow in life. I believe the owner Bill knows he should have offered to replace the decoys but he chose to offer me more decoys at a cheaper price. Well I've never been accused of being real smart but I'm not dense enough to ever buy additional decoys that will also leak. The decoys are defective and Bill knows they are but he refuses to stand behind his product. He is probably a lot younger than me but he will find out that these things always come back to you. It's like a guide that works his tail off for you and the guide that takes your money and says best of luck. I work hard for my clients and I always will. Bill's company may be initially successful but in the long run he will probably fail. Things always seem to come around. Thanks for the response and wish everyone success even old Bill. Capt. Ken Dempsey

skiftcky 12-30-2013 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Capt. Ken Dempsey (Post 4112349)
Appreciate the suggestions and I have foamed decoys before but brand new decoys should not have to be foamed. What has happened to quality products being offered.These decoys are not cheap imported decoys but rather expensive decoys made right here in the USA. I really couldn't believe that Dakota didn't stand behind their product but believe me when I say that I intend to spread the word. I hunt and fish over 1500 sportsman a year and I intend to pass the word. I do about 6-8 outdoor shows a year and this will be a topic I will discuss with water fowlers. The other suggestion about exposing the truth to everyone is the route I will pursue. I am an older guide and I believe you reap what you sow in life. I believe the owner Bill knows he should have offered to replace the decoys but he chose to offer me more decoys at a cheaper price. Well I've never been accused of being real smart but I'm not dense enough to ever buy additional decoys that will also leak. The decoys are defective and Bill knows they are but he refuses to stand behind his product. He is probably a lot younger than me but he will find out that these things always come back to you. It's like a guide that works his tail off for you and the guide that takes your money and says best of luck. I work hard for my clients and I always will. Bill's company may be initially successful but in the long run he will probably fail. Things always seem to come around. Thanks for the response and wish everyone success even old Bill. Capt. Ken Dempsey

Brother, I agree with you 100% on the loss of quality and pride in ones product. Specially right now it seems that companies have to cut quality materials and workmanship in favor of overhead, employee compensation, the new laws that made some cut employees to under 50 etc etc. Also, it seems as if there is a "good enough for government work" attitude these days when it comes to their product. I know our parents and grand parents saw it in their day and age and now we are seeing it with the products that we are used to and have sworn by in the past. I've never used the Dakota Deeks, I have 1dz red head mallard deeks, 1 dz Cabelas NF deeks, 1dz flambeau teal. Naturally the redhead are the best, just need a bit of paint and the Flambeau just look like grey and brown silhouettes now. The cabelas ones crack at the bottom where they meet the keel and take on water but I've only had two do that. Either way you are right, quality is taking a nose dive.

JW 12-30-2013 06:41 PM

In that case as I fully understand
and Capt I am like you. I don't mind paying for quality to me you pay for what you get and you want it to last
send them back
even if there was no refund I'd state I don't keep junk snd that is exactly what you sold me
JW