HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Chew Proof retrieval toy? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/388375-chew-proof-retrieval-toy.html)

TheDudeAbides 12-25-2013 10:04 AM

Chew Proof retrieval toy?

Anybody know of any chew proof retrieval toys?
My dogs love the floating rubber toys that have the nubs on them. However they always chew the tops off where the valve is to changer their buoyancy. I'm looking for something more durable.

Doc E 12-25-2013 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides (Post 4111069)
Anybody know of any chew proof retrieval toys?
My dogs love the floating rubber toys that have the nubs on them. However they always chew the tops off where the valve is to changer their buoyancy. I'm looking for something more durable.

It sounds like you are using a TRAINING dummy (bumper) as a chew toy -- am I correct ?
This is a BIG NO-NO ! !
Doing normal retrieves with the bumper you describe should never be chewed on -- during training or after (as a toy).
There are training aids (bumpers) and there are chew toys -- and never the twain shall meet.
The best chew toy (NOT used for training) is probably the KONG.

TheDudeAbides 12-27-2013 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Doc E (Post 4111129)
It sounds like you are using a TRAINING dummy (bumper) as a chew toy -- am I correct ?
This is a BIG NO-NO ! !
Doing normal retrieves with the bumper you describe should never be chewed on -- during training or after (as a toy).
There are training aids (bumpers) and there are chew toys -- and never the twain shall meet.
The best chew toy (NOT used for training) is probably the KONG.

I do use them as a toy because my dogs are not trained to hunt waterfowl. I take my dogs to the lake quite often and just play fetch with them in the water. I had the intentions of training our chocolate lab pup when he got him, but I never did. he just turned three. I don't have anywhere to hunt waterfowl and don't really know anybody to help me get into the sport.

Doc E 12-29-2013 03:58 PM

I still suggest the Kong.
I think they also make one that floats.
I've seen the teeth of dogs that "chew" on knobby bumpers. The teeth wear down to nubbins in half as much time as normal tooth wear.

skiftcky 12-30-2013 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides (Post 4111607)
I do use them as a toy because my dogs are not trained to hunt waterfowl. I take my dogs to the lake quite often and just play fetch with them in the water. I had the intentions of training our chocolate lab pup when he got him, but I never did. he just turned three. I don't have anywhere to hunt waterfowl and don't really know anybody to help me get into the sport.

Sorry you don't have anywhere to hunt and no one to show you... Where do you live if you don't mind me asking.
Also about your retriever toy, I picked up a dokken duck trainer for my dog. It's very affordable, it's durable foam, even if they chew at it some they will not sink, I've had mine for over three years now. one for the yard and one for serious work. They are also injectable (for scents) Also, if you want to break your dog from chewing the blanks get in the water with him/her about up to your waist, just enough to where they can't touch bottom and have them bring that blank right to you. They will not have time to chew on it and they learn that it must come back to you at all times. It won't happen over night but my girl was a bit of a chewer at first and this trick broke her of it. Now, if I could get her to stop licking the blood and feathers off the downed ducks we bring into the blind it would be nice.

skiftcky 12-30-2013 12:48 AM

Oh and almost forgot, here's the link to that trainer at Bass Pro Shops... you can find them just about anywhere that sells dog training products.

http://www.basspro.com/Dokken-Dead-F...SSSELL_PRODUCT

TheDudeAbides 01-01-2014 06:46 AM

Thanks, I'll have to pick up one of those Dokken trainers. I do get in the water with them quite often, weather providing. I'm in southern Michigan. I just found out two friends from work are big into hunting waterfowl, so maybe they could help. Three years old a bit late to teach a lab? He fetches on land and water very well, but I don't know if he is gun shy yet.

skiftcky 01-01-2014 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides (Post 4112806)
Thanks, I'll have to pick up one of those Dokken trainers. I do get in the water with them quite often, weather providing. I'm in southern Michigan. I just found out two friends from work are big into hunting waterfowl, so maybe they could help. Three years old a bit late to teach a lab? He fetches on land and water very well, but I don't know if he is gun shy yet.

Contrary to popular belief it is not impossible to teach an old dog new tricks. I just house broke a 2 year old basset hound that I was fostering in about a months time. Rules for duck dog training:
1. The bumper (training dummy) is NOT a chew toy. It is for working.
2. Overly reward good behavior do not react to unwanted behavior; Negative reinforcement is still giving your dog attention.
3. 90% of dogs will be gun shy if you just pick up a 12guage and start blasting. Start by clapping your hands when the dog reacts give a treat every week step it up Slam books together, buy a kids cap gun (its cheaper than a 22 starter pistol) pop a cap or two then throw the bumper Also there is a CD called sounds of my master ( I think) that you can play in the house. At first it starts out with classical music with inaudible gunshot sounds over a 2 hour period they slowly switch up and the gunshots will be loud.
4. Never let your dog break on the shot. Teach it to stay put until the shooting is done then retrieve when you give the command. A lot of dogs end up with a BB or two in them when they break like that.
5. Try to work your dog for about an hour every day. Do a few blind retrieves with them so they learn to use their nose and find birds that may land in brush, weeds, or on land. Still give them a break for a day or two to rebuild muscle and stamina. Your dog is literally willing to work itself to death for your attention.
There is so much more but these are the basics. There are some good videos on youtube that will help with force break retrieving, holding the bird until you command release, multiple retrieves, working alongside other dogs. If you start this spring, your pup will be ready by next season. After the 1st year, just work your dog about a month prior to season and it should do fine.