Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
First Batch of Duck Jerky of the Season >

First Batch of Duck Jerky of the Season

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

First Batch of Duck Jerky of the Season

Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Batch of Duck Jerky of the Season

These just came out of the smoker -- then stacked on edge to dry to perfection .

Old 11-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Nice.

I have some geese I need to make into jerky. I use smokers and just slice them.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Spike

Man, that looks good... do you grind it up and then use one of those jerky caulking gun (for a lack of the correct term) to create your pieces? I tried making some this year by cutting into 1/4" slices and cooking in the stove... turned out crappy.. your looks good though!
Old 01-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

That looks great.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mmmm...looks great.

I got some duck pepperoni sticks in Oregon. It's the only way my wife will eat wild duck.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had jerked duck. Looks good though!
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by The V
Man, that looks good... do you grind it up and then use one of those jerky caulking gun (for a lack of the correct term) to create your pieces? I tried making some this year by cutting into 1/4" slices and cooking in the stove... turned out crappy.. your looks good though!
1st piece of advice, DO NOT soak duck in buttermilk... soak in salt water overnight to draw the blood out. This eliminates a lot of the wild taste. Then google "how to make duck jerky in the oven." Choose the first link. Cut the breasts & marinate per the recipe. I crushed peppercorns & sprinkled over the meat just before putting in the oven. Use wire rack(s) over a cookie sheet. Mine will only go as low as 170 degrees, so I propped oven door w/ a ball of foil & cooked for 4.5 hrs. This turned out awesome & got rave reviews from people who would not normally eat duck.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Quakklz
1st piece of advice, DO NOT soak duck in buttermilk... soak in salt water overnight to draw the blood out. This eliminates a lot of the wild taste. Then google "how to make duck jerky in the oven." Choose the first link. Cut the breasts & marinate per the recipe. I crushed peppercorns & sprinkled over the meat just before putting in the oven. Use wire rack(s) over a cookie sheet. Mine will only go as low as 170 degrees, so I propped oven door w/ a ball of foil & cooked for 4.5 hrs. This turned out awesome & got rave reviews from people who would not normally eat duck.
Thanks - I did all that...except I marinated mine in baking soda - I guess I will just have to keep trying until i get it right or breakdown find a cheap dehydrator (sp?) - thanks for the responses
Old 01-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The V
Yes, we like jerky made from ground meat better than slices, then 'shoot' it through a Cabela's Jerky Blaster.

The best thing to do (instead of marinating or soaking in salt water) is to blend in some Sesame Oil into the meat -- let it soak for 5 minutes and you are good to go.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Doc E
Yes, we like jerky made from ground meat better than slices, then 'shoot' it through a Cabela's Jerky Blaster.

The best thing to do (instead of marinating or soaking in salt water) is to blend in some Sesame Oil into the meat -- let it soak for 5 minutes and you are good to go.

Cool Thanks for the tips - I'll have to get me one of those blasters! Happy hunting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.