HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   First Batch of Duck Jerky of the Season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/387513-first-batch-duck-jerky-season.html)

Doc E 11-25-2013 04:08 PM

First Batch of Duck Jerky of the Season

These just came out of the smoker -- then stacked on edge to dry to perfection .

NEhomer 11-27-2013 02:49 PM

Nice.

I have some geese I need to make into jerky. I use smokers and just slice them.

The V 01-09-2014 12:37 PM

Man, that looks good... do you grind it up and then use one of those jerky caulking gun (for a lack of the correct term) to create your pieces? I tried making some this year by cutting into 1/4" slices and cooking in the stove... turned out crappy.. your looks good though!

RPD63 01-10-2014 11:20 AM

That looks great.

JoeA 01-10-2014 03:41 PM

Mmmm...looks great.

I got some duck pepperoni sticks in Oregon. It's the only way my wife will eat wild duck.

Tundra10 01-10-2014 09:55 PM

Never had jerked duck. Looks good though!

Quakklz 01-14-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by The V (Post 4114767)
Man, that looks good... do you grind it up and then use one of those jerky caulking gun (for a lack of the correct term) to create your pieces? I tried making some this year by cutting into 1/4" slices and cooking in the stove... turned out crappy.. your looks good though!

1st piece of advice, DO NOT soak duck in buttermilk... soak in salt water overnight to draw the blood out. This eliminates a lot of the wild taste. Then google "how to make duck jerky in the oven." Choose the first link. Cut the breasts & marinate per the recipe. I crushed peppercorns & sprinkled over the meat just before putting in the oven. Use wire rack(s) over a cookie sheet. Mine will only go as low as 170 degrees, so I propped oven door w/ a ball of foil & cooked for 4.5 hrs. This turned out awesome & got rave reviews from people who would not normally eat duck.

The V 01-15-2014 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Quakklz (Post 4116081)
1st piece of advice, DO NOT soak duck in buttermilk... soak in salt water overnight to draw the blood out. This eliminates a lot of the wild taste. Then google "how to make duck jerky in the oven." Choose the first link. Cut the breasts & marinate per the recipe. I crushed peppercorns & sprinkled over the meat just before putting in the oven. Use wire rack(s) over a cookie sheet. Mine will only go as low as 170 degrees, so I propped oven door w/ a ball of foil & cooked for 4.5 hrs. This turned out awesome & got rave reviews from people who would not normally eat duck.

Thanks - I did all that...except I marinated mine in baking soda - I guess I will just have to keep trying until i get it right or breakdown find a cheap dehydrator (sp?) - thanks for the responses

Doc E 01-16-2014 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by The V (Post 4114767)

Yes, we like jerky made from ground meat better than slices, then 'shoot' it through a Cabela's Jerky Blaster.

The best thing to do (instead of marinating or soaking in salt water) is to blend in some Sesame Oil into the meat -- let it soak for 5 minutes and you are good to go.

The V 01-16-2014 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doc E (Post 4116445)
Yes, we like jerky made from ground meat better than slices, then 'shoot' it through a Cabela's Jerky Blaster.

The best thing to do (instead of marinating or soaking in salt water) is to blend in some Sesame Oil into the meat -- let it soak for 5 minutes and you are good to go.

Cool Thanks for the tips - I'll have to get me one of those blasters! Happy hunting!