Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Don't even know what to ask! >

Don't even know what to ask!

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Don't even know what to ask!

Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Spike

Default Don't even know what to ask!

I want to get into duck hunting. I live in illinios. Before I get into it I want to know some things about it. The problem is right now I know so little about it that I don't even know what to ask. So can you guys please tell me some things that are important about duck hunting? And anything else you want to tell me would be great! Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first thing you should know is, ducks taste like crap. They are a lot more fun to hunt than they are to eat! LMAO!

If I were just starting out duck hunting, the first thing I would do is to find someone who knows a lot about duck hunting to take me out.

Location is the key. Good dekes and a robo or two is great. Learn how to call but more important, learn when to call.

Buy every Buck Gardner instructional video you can find. He is the man.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

I'm no expert on waterfowl (goose hunt a bit), but I've got friends who drive down to Crab Orchard every January to duck hunt, that should be in your neighborhood. You can send all the "crappy" tasting ducks my way, Colorado, lol.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you have lots of money............it is very addicting.

Ron
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to disagree... duck tastes amazing, just have to know how to prepare it.

It's really not hard to get into duck hunting... but it can be expensive. You'll need a shotgun, waders, some decoys, a call or two (or ten) and a dog for water retrieval is really handy.

If you know anyone that duck hunts, ask if you could go along and learn the ropes. Otherwise, there are a million articles on the topic out there... read up. Good luck with your research.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Spike

+1000 on finding someone to help you learn. Thats what I am working on doing right now. There is really a lot to learn and most of it can only be learned by going hunting.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

What is the most prized or favorite duck to kill in kentucky? What ducks do you usually kill the most of and least is what I'm asking
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Spike

Ducks taste like beef liver and turds.

Dabbler hunters, aka park duck hunters are not real duck hunters. They will try and tell you that teal fly fast when everyone knows that divers are MUCH quicker.

Mallard hunters will tell you that it's hard to get a flock of 40 green heads to come in....I tell them that it's even harder to get a flock of 400 scaup to come in. 80 eyes or 800 eyes looking at you??

Uneducated duck hunters will shoot an eclipse drake mallard and think it's some type of hybrid/hermaphrodite bird......it's not, it's just still in the eclipse stage.

Uneducated duck hunters will tell you that mergansers are not ducks. They are ducks. They are just as much of a duck as a mallard or can.

Uneducated duck hunters will tell you that coot are waterfowl. They are not. They are a member of the rail family.

Uneducated duck hunters will put the letter "D" when spelling wigeon. There is no letter D in wigeon when spelled in English. Wigeon rhymes with pigeon and there is no D in pigeon. Also all the dictionaries and DU and Delta and decoy companies spell it WIGEON.

You now know everything you need to learn about duck hunting.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Spike

....and for those of you who say that diver hunting is for people who can't call ducks here is a picture for you.

Now let's see you do this.....

Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Spike

My best eating ducks are Teal blue or green wing. Next would be Canvasback followed by blue bills, the rest I leave for the rookies.