Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

12-ga / 20-ga Question

Old 09-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Spike

Question 12-ga / 20-ga Question

Hi,

Not sure if someone have asked this before. I just returned for my first dove hunting trip and Im just hooked with it. Im planning to get my very first shotgun however got a question to see if someone here can answer.

I would like to buy a pump-action shotgun that allows me to hunt either doves and/or ducks. I know I will have to utilize 12-gauge for ducks and 20-gauge for doves. Is there a shotgun in the market that allows you to utilize either 12-ga or 20-ga without exchanging barrels or anything?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

there is no reason you couldnt use a 12 gauge for doves. just use lighter loads and if you prefer, a modified choke.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Savage Sniper
there is no reason you couldnt use a 12 gauge for doves. just use lighter loads and if you prefer, a modified choke.
+1 and there is no reason you couldn't use a 20 gauge for ducks or geese.

But to answer your question, no there is not such a gun. Unless someone makes an over under 20 gauge/12gauge. I've never heard of one and would find it almost useless.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Spike

Personal preference really! I have had great shoots with the 20 over goose decoys. Actually only fired 5 rounds before I was done! I love the smaller bore guns.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LoneWati
Personal preference really! I have had great shoots with the 20 over goose decoys. Actually only fired 5 rounds before I was done! I love the smaller bore guns.
When I had my neck surgery, I went down to a 20 gauge for one year. It was probably my best year of shooting in my life. The lighter gun just made it easier to swing and to get on the bird. I'm back to shooting a 12 gauge and will always keep a 12 but I'm looking for another good deal on a inertia 20 gauge.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Spike

I use to have a 3 1/2 inch gun . I used the heck out of it, in every shell size possible and what I found out was is that I could kill just as effectively with a 2 3/4 inch shell. What the heck was I doing carrying all this extra weight. Started shooting the 20 at the duck blind and had no problems. Actually shot a little better because I was quicker getting on the bird and my swing was smoother and faster. Then took it out goose hunting and was impressed. For upland now I have been using a 28 almost exclusively for 2 years now. I am not wasting all that lead or steel now with these smaller bores. I think I am a better shot then I used to be now. I still shoot my 12 on occasion because that is just what we all do, shoot all of our guns. It is just fun taking the littler ones out. If I was going to pass shoot, then I would for sure take the 12 . Glad season is upon us for sure!! Have a goon one!!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 AM
Fork Horn

I use a 20ga for duck quite a bit along with my 12ga. For an over and under there are some higher priced guns that come with extra set of barrels. Stoger makes an over and under combo that has 12 and 20ga barrels. One thing with stoger condor field combo has both barrels. One thing if you go and buy used with this gun, DO NOT get one made 2004 and before, they had allot of problems. My 20 and 12ga stogers are awesome guns and reliable.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Spike

I shoot a 12 gauge just because that is what I have always shot but I honestly dont think there is any bird in north america that you cant hunt with a 20 gauge if you do it right. I prefer a 12 for ducks and geese but it could certainly be done with a 20. Ive watched my dad bring them down just as fast with his 20.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are really interested in shooting both 12 and 20 and only have one gun, you can do this. Browning makes shot shell adapters that allow you to shoot 20 in a 12 with these drop in short tubes. I have them and use them in my O/U and are really neat. You can only use them in break open guns, single shots, O/U's and SxS's. They are not really expensive, maybe $30 for 2.
They look like black steel shot hulls. All you have to do after shooting them is to pop them out and pop out the spent hull and drop in a fresh round.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Spike

if you are really going to get into dove hunting dont get a pump. get an automatic you will kill many more doves and you will most likely be more accurate. i reccomend the remington 11-87!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.