HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Waterfowling in CO (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/38143-waterfowling-co.html)

BigBore1895 09-23-2003 05:33 PM

Waterfowling in CO

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone in CO or that knew CO that well knows of good public land to hunt waterfowl on. I live near Greeley/Fort Collins, so if anyone knows anything decent let me know.

Schemy 09-24-2003 03:26 PM

RE: Waterfowling in CO

Big Bore,

Good luck finding that. I lived in Greeley for 4 years when I was going to college. I tried to find some spots for a while, but it was harder to do than balancing my GPA and Blood Alcohol Content. :D I would contact the DOW office in Ft. Collins, they will be able to give you some advice on what lands are out there to hunt, problem is you and every other hunter along the northern front range will be out there. Let me know how you end up with your search. You may even want to look out by Ft. Morgan or Sterling. Good Luck.

westbronco 09-24-2003 08:24 PM

BigBore, There is a nice SWA on the east side of the Platte just east of Evans on 37th St by way of Hwy 85. I don' t know how it is regulated, but DOW can tell you. There also is a SWA, Centennial Valley Ranch, at Harden on the Platte. That' s a few miles east of Kearsey on Hwy 34 to CR 50. Take CR 50 to Harden. This is a reservation site, so you need to deal with that. Goose hunting properties are harder to come by, but DOW will tell you what they have for geese. Good luck.

BigBore1895 09-28-2003 12:40 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I am at UNC here, so I don' t have 1,000 dollars to blow on private land. It sucks, but what are you gonna do? I hunt Jackson Reservoir, BigThompson/Simpson ponds, and they are ok, but they get shot up quick. I have some private land in Longmont, but it' s just cornfields for geese. Anyway, thanks again, and if you think of anything else let me know!

stuckinthereeds 10-13-2003 03:46 PM

RE: Waterfowling in southern CO

I am also trying to find land in Colorado, but I just moved to Durango, so I don' t know of a lot of areas. I am thinking of going over by Alamosa. Whats the word over there

blackliner 10-14-2003 07:57 PM

My parents live in Severance, and my dad has been hunting the Pawnee Ntal. Grassland east of Nunn, west of Sterling. Not great, but there are some potholes and adjacent stubble fields.

westbronco 10-15-2003 12:19 PM

Guys, as I said earlier, contact your local D.O.W. office and ask them where you can go. They have listings and some maps for State Wildlife Areas, SWA' s, and State Trust Lands that are open to waterfowl and other hunting. Any of their officers that I have met were very helpful and knowledgable. It won' t be the same as private or club leases, but you can get some good hunting. Enjoy.

DUCKN BAG 10-21-2003 02:49 AM

HI BIG BORE

I LIVE IN EVANS AND I' M A VERY ACTIVE WATERFOWL HUNTER THAT HUNTS ALL THE TIME.IF YOUR GOING TO HUNT PUBLIC LAND IT' S BETTER TO GO OUT EAST SO YOU WON' T HAVE TO COMPETE WITH HUNTERS.I HUNT ON PUBLIC LAND OUT AT FT MORGAN AND LIMITED OUT ON DUCKS ALL THREE TIMES THIS YEAR FROM MALLARDS TO TEAL AND WOOD DUCKS.IF YOU WANT TO GET TOGETHER TO HUNT GIVE ME A E-MAIL.I HAVE PRIVATE HUNTING SPOTS ALL OVER GREELEY,EATON,GALETON AND JOHNSTOWN FOR GOOSE HUNTING. I' M ALWAYS WILLING TO TAKE ANYBODY HUNTING TO HAVE A FUN TIME.
LATERS DUCKN BAG

DUCKN BAG 10-21-2003 03:02 AM

HI BIG BORE I LIVE IN EVANS AND HUNT ALL THE TIME.YOUR BETTER OFF GOING OUT EAST LIKE JACKSON, WELDONA OR OUT TO BRUSH FOR DUCKS.I HAVE PRIVATE LAND ALL OVER GREELEY,EATON GALETON AND JOHNSTOWN FOR GOOSE HUNTING.IF YOUR UP TO DOING SOME HUNTING GIVE ME A E-MAIL I WILL TAKE ANYBODY OUT JUST TO HAVE A FUN TIME.:)I NOW HOW IT' S LIKE TO NOT HAVE A PLACE TO HUNT BECAUSE LEASES COST SO MUCH.

TYLEETESS 10-25-2003 11:46 AM

I moved to Colorado 2 years ago and it has been VERY hard to find places to hunt. I have went down to the DOW and got maps and any info. on the state lands I could, although helpfull it took a lot of scouting and coming home empty handed. I finally have a few good spots after 3 seasons, although my calling leaves something to be desired. I would suggest visiting the DOW and getting the maps and doing some scouting.