Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
3.5 inch shells for further shots? >

3.5 inch shells for further shots?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

3.5 inch shells for further shots?

Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default 3.5 inch shells for further shots?

i dont have any goose decoys or anything yet so i have been hoping to jumpshoot most geese in a canoe, however the majority of the geese that i encounter i would have to try to walk to get close enough, in which they would start to fly away usually around 50 yards away from me giving me no choice fr a closer shot. so with the shots being that far i rarely have been able to hit or kill many geese like that. using 3 inch hi speed winchester BB shells (1550 fps)
i was wondering if using a 3.5 inch shell if i would have a better chance at killing far out geese like this? or would it not be much better than my 3 inch shells?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Simple answer is no because all you are basically getting is more pellets and not the poop you need for longer shots.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

10 gauge.

Ron
Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Spike

Look into a good choke tube. Pattern Master, Kicker High Flyer or something of those sorts. Your range will improve alittle plus better patterns
Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Spike

Make sure it is ethical shots that you are taking, youre best bet is too work on getting closer. You may be hitting geese and only wounding them. sometimes you dont even need decoys if you can find THE spot. good luck
Old 09-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

You are gonna get more pellets and an increased ability to get
pellets on target. Take a look at the HeviShot SpeedBall and HeviMetal shells. You can easily take ducks with the 3" shells if that is what you prefer.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Spike

If you can't get in close, use a tight choke tube. HeviShot makes an extended range choke tube that patterns tight. Use that choke tube with HEVIShot goose loads. HEVIShot will extend your lethal range significantly. However, no matter which tube and shell you use, be sure to pattern your gun before you shoot.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

In order for the BB to have enough energy for penetration to kill a goose (assuming @ 50y) one of two things need to happen increase the weight of the BB (like heavy shot) or increase the velocity.
I would try and shorten the distance which is more cost effective.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

As others have said here choke and shot improvements are going to help. First off, what choke are you using now? Second, if you can afford it, get rid of those shells you are shooting for they are on the cheap end for what you are trying to do and get better grade shells. They mentioned the Hevi-Metal and Speedball. GREAT shells!!!! The 3-1/2" shells might help if you match your loads and choke to the job at hand. I would look at a choke tube intended for long range, PatternMaster, Carlsons, Kicks etc.. The shells as mentioned above.
I personally shoot a Brileys Extended Modified Ported tube with Hevi-Metal B's and Hevi-Shot 2's for shots going to be over 50yds, backing up my clients/ finishing off their cripples. Do you have access to other shells without buying them, bumming some from your buddies maybe? Try them and see what happens.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is that not what 3.5" ammo is suppose to do ?!?!

................and extra full "type" chokes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.