Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Duck Banding Myths and Urban Legends >

Duck Banding Myths and Urban Legends

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck Banding Myths and Urban Legends

Old 08-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Duck Banding Myths and Urban Legends

Ok, so maybe not every one out there but I'm sure quite a few have heard stories of duck bands worth a lot of money. I've heard anywhere from $10k to a $1M DU/budweiser band to trucks and all other stuff. I shrug most of these off as urban legends. However I would like to know if there are some bands out there that have won some one a prize such as hunting gear or a gun etc. Please share your story.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

I know they released a trout in Utah recently with a $25,000 tag... never heard of a duck band prize...
Old 08-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

That would be interesting to see
Old 08-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a $100 reward duck band, but I didn't shoot the duck. I have heard of reward bands put on pheasants for some high $ amounts.

There's a $1,000,000 reward band put on a pheasant around Aberdeen, SD to draw hunters. Go to milliondollarbird.com for information.

Last edited by JoeA; 08-31-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:01 PM
Spike

I have shot two mallard drakes here in Oregon that had $50 bands.... best I know of was a $100 band
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JoeA
I've seen a $100 reward duck band, but I didn't shoot the duck. I have heard of reward bands put on pheasants for some high $ amounts.

There's a $1,000,000 reward band put on a pheasant around Aberdeen, SD to draw hunters. Go to milliondollarbird.com for information.
I just checked out that site. I guess it's like a drawing. Seems to me they released a bunch of birds with the 1m dollar band and of all those who shoot one of those birds get entered into a chance to with the 1M. I may be wrong but it seems like the gist of it. Still a pretty cool deal and would make for one hell of a hunt.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend of mine has shot a banded goose two years in a row. Both of these birds had a regular band and a $100.00 band on them. I don`t know what the odds are for a hunter to bag one of these tags but for that same hunter to get one two years in a row is pretty astronomical. He bought beakfast afterwards both times.

Ron
Old 09-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

RB, I'd keep hunting with that guy! I've shot banded geese before, but never won anything!
-Jake
Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Birds with money bands are usually double banded, one silver and one green. Highest I have ever seen is a hundred dollars. I called and reported a band last year, and I asked what was the highest money band there was. They told me one hundred.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

That seems to be the norm. Other than the pheasant band I only see either gear give away bands or upwards of 150 bucks. Nowhere have I seen a $1million dollar band or free truck etc.