Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

duck shells

Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wingseek
I would take a serious look at the new HeviShot SPeedBall
shells....these shells rock in either 3" or 3.5"
I can't see how a ball of some composition in the wad area of a shotshell can contribute to the velocity of the shell. It has to lie within the propellant area to gain in increase or to lighten the payload for an increase.
I shoot the regular Hevi-Metal for both ducks and almost exclusively for geese. I use the regular Hevi-Shot as back up, 3rd shot, on geese and LOVE the heck out of both of them!!!!!! Buy it by the case.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I cannot argue with you on the HeviMetal shells. They are tremedous
and I use them a great deal. The SpeedBall shells are an improvement over that shell. You will be amazed at the velocity and pellet count you will get with the SpeedBall shells.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wingseek
I cannot argue with you on the HeviMetal shells. They are tremedous
and I use them a great deal. The SpeedBall shells are an improvement over that shell. You will be amazed at the velocity and pellet count you will get with the SpeedBall shells.
May get a box and put them on the paper to see what I am getting as opposed to my regular Hevi-Metal and chokes. Something to do on a goof off day.
What a GREAT reason to get away from some yard/house work for a day or so!!! Really sucks that it is all done in my backyard though!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
May get a box and put them on the paper to see what I am getting as opposed to my regular Hevi-Metal and chokes. Something to do on a goof off day.
What a GREAT reason to get away from some yard/house work for a day or so!!! Really sucks that it is all done in my backyard though!!!!!!!
I am going to love the SpeedBall shells. I have patterned them with
Benelli and I am shooting some impressive groups out past 50 yards. SecondChance, please let me know your results if you get some.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Don't forget about the available rebates on the HeviShot
shells that is currently running.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Spike

I usually shoot Hevi-Metal 3 inch #2 at geese and ducks. They pattern really well out of my gun and kill the birds stone dead.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Spike

Last year a buddy gave me three boxes of hevi shot #4 because they wouldn't cycle through his Stoeger semi auto. They were the best shotgun shells I've ever shot but I refuse to pay $25 + for a box of shells. This year I sprung for a box of black clouds and I liked them but not as good as the hevi shot and still expensive. I've been hunting with the Winchester Super X and they are definitely not black cloud or hevi shot but if I wait for shots inside 30 yards they knock them down just fine.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Spike

I almost always shoot number 4's with a modified choke tube.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SoTex
I almost always shoot number 4's with a modified choke tube.
In open water or the timber? Around here all 4's will get ya is an empty pocket. Not enough punch for even swatter loads. Tried them, didn't work for us. We have shot them in the timber and all shots are inside 30yds at the longest point, worked OK.

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-04-2012 at 05:55 AM.