Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

movement in spread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Spike

Default movement in spread

I was wondering what you guys use to create movement in your decoys. I have been using a jerk string attached to a decoy. Is there a better method?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

hook 3 or 4 decoys to that string, seriously

works better than a spinner many times
Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

On my water spread a jerk string....field spread GHG decoy setup with the wind motion stakes..
Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Spike

i dont own one but one of my buddies does. the duck commander wake maker really works. i use a jerk string in my spread but that wake maker is amazing.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Cabelas has these decoy propellers that attatch to the decoys keel. You turn it on then drop the deek in the water. 3 of them do nicely and they're only about 12 bucks a piece. Only thin you have to watch out for is to make sure you have some good spacing between your propeller deek and the others or they will tangle up. Also shortening your deek chord helps this.
Here's the link.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...3Bcat104290380
Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Spike

I have used mojos, ect. for several years now, but have quit using them the past few season......first off, because they are a bit of a PIA to haul, set up, ect. The second is that everyone and his brother has 2, 3 or a dozen mojos set up.....I feel that the birds are used to (and wise to) them, esp. late in the season.
For movement, I've tried all the duck torpedos, ect. ect....they get tangled, or the props foul, ect.
I think a duck butt rigged with a jerk cord is ideal, and I have a couple of quiver butts that I put out if the water is absolutely still and there needs to be some movement.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Spike

We use,swimming ducks, a jerk cord, a mallard machine, 3-Pumper butts, a shaker and upto 13 spinners.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Spike

If your hunting out of a canoe use an electric trolling motor to create a current in your spread the dekes will dodge back and forth works good.
GE
Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

Hunt on windy days.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Spike

Take one wing on your spinning wing decoy,drill a hole at the bottom out side edge put a 24 inch heavy(tanglefree work best) decoy line tie a knot at one end slide it in the hole tie a knot at the other end,then place it just close enough that the knot touchs the surface of the water turn it on and it will spray water up and the ducks GO CRAZY trying to get down to it,Been working for a long time for me,and can be seen for a long way. Be carefull it will beat the hell out of you.We use SUPER LUCKY DUCKS with plastic wings and the spray looks like feeding duck making ripples in the water and moves the decoys around nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.