Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

beginer duck hunter

Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default beginer duck hunter

I would like to start duck hunting this fall, i would like to hunt over decoys but before i get into gear, i don't even know where to hunt so i have a few questions,how do you pick your duck hunting spots? and how do you find your duck hunting spots?

Also i have a little pond in the woods behind my house that has a few ducks in it in the spring but i never looked in the fall would that be a good place? there's never a lot just a few mallards but i saw some wood ducks there last spring, ive only seen a maximum of 5 ducks in there at a time. and it varies day to day sometimes theres 3-5 sometimes there's 1-2 sometimes there's non at all.
Would that be a good spot?

Last edited by thelukai1100; 03-28-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

Very simple, you find where to hunt by spending a lot of time scouting the local area.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 AM
Spike

You'll hunt a spot that has a continuous flow of birds all day. Just watch the pond or area, and set up where they spend most of their time sitting.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

Try public land. In my state, they are called state parks, recreation areas, wildlife areas, etc. There are maps online for every park. There are also online hunting guides that show what kind of game (deer, quail, dove, turkey, waterfowl, etc) is predominantly found in the different areas. When our duck season starts, there are weekly waterfowl reports that list the numbers (and even the number of birds harvested) of birds using the areas. Your state probably has the same online resources.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

shawn.
How do i know there's going to be ducks there? do i just look at a map and find wet areas and ponds and scout? Fyi, Ive never been duck hunting before in my life, so i don't have any idea.

psandhu
Sounds like a good idea but there's none of those "wild life or recreation areas" in my state or non that i could find online
Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A newbie looking for ducks

Should study maps on the internet, like Google earth, and learn where there is water, ponds, and swamps, where huntable ducks may congregate. And I'd get my walking feet in shape for some serious treking.

Of a newbie I would require that they know what eye will aim down the barrel of a shotgun and what eye is their POWER eye. And if they are different, I'd do some changing or some serious practice.
And anyone who doesn't know POWER eye, may want to retire from duck hunting, before they even start, if thus affected.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
And anyone who doesn't know POWER eye, may want to retire from duck hunting, before they even start, if thus affected.
I'm not sure what "power eye" is?
is it my dominant eye?
I've been trap shooting plenty of times before,but ive never heard the term "power eye".
Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Spike

I don't know what state you are in but it really doesn't matter. ducks and geese have to have water. no water no birds. just that simple. start by finding lakes rivers /creeks around you. go out at first light and in the evening and drive around looking at the water that you found. most of the time the birds will fly in the morning and the evening. keep watching the horizon and watch for flocks, then fallow them. It's easier to see them in the air than on the water. Your pond sounds good but you will shoot it out quick so don't just count on that. good luck and welcome to the fold!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Spike

it isn't so difficult. All you have to be a very good shooter so that you should not miss anyone. Otherwise if you go in a huge crowd of ducks and geese, you will definitely get disappointed due to your bad shooting