HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   amazing experience today (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/356757-amazing-experience-today.html)

beaglefan 01-07-2012 04:05 PM

amazing experience today

I was hunting one of the rivers in virginia and i witnessed something realy cool. I heard 3 mallards come flying in low over my decoys ...and they werent quacking. They were going so fast they made an extremely loud whizzing noise. I didn't even realize what it was at 1st because it sounded more like an engine, like a boat on the river or when a car passes you on the road. They were so close i the spectrum of colors on their green heads. It was one of those moments that just leaves you awestruck.

Anybody else had any cool hunting stories like that.

NEK 01-08-2012 05:34 AM

Hey Beaglefan,
I have heard the sound you mention many times while duck hunting over the years, and no matter how many times you hear it - it will always get the blood to pumping - but the most memorable was, one morning back in the late 1950's - I was laying in a rock pit blind, on a long point, at the mouth of our local river where it flowed into Lake Erie. I had a couple of dozen old wooden, mixed diver decoys out and all of a sudden - a small flock - 6 as I remember - Canvasbacks came out of the southwest riding the wind and they just buzzed the deeks and were gone so quickly, I just lay there with my mouth hanging open. It happened so fast and unexpectedly - and as you say - that whizzing - sheet tearing noise. It almost sounded like a jet fighter. Those were the first Cans I had ever seen up close and will never forget the experience.
Good shooting!

Colorado Luckydog 01-08-2012 09:49 AM

Wait until it's 500 instead if 3. You'll darn near poop your pants!

Rory/MO 01-08-2012 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog (Post 3899086)
Wait until it's 500 instead if 3. You'll darn near poop your pants!

No kidding there.

Major Woods 01-09-2012 05:34 AM

I have hear that several times while using a layout boat. The flock comes to within 3 feet of me and sound like a little jet plane!

countertop 01-10-2012 07:34 PM

Hey, not that I'm asking to have you disclose your honey hole . . . . but what river where you hunting? I live in the Tysons area and can't afford a Maryland non resident license to get out on the Potomac. Wondering what river in Virginia you are hunting and/or if its near Manassas.

beaglefan 01-13-2012 01:49 PM

Countertop, i was hunting the mattaponi river. I live in Manassas, but it is about 2 hours from there.

swampbuster 01-15-2012 11:27 AM

I love that sound!

pollardmark52 07-08-2012 03:49 AM

I didn't even realize what it was at 1st because it sounded more like an engine, like a boat on the river or when a car passes you on the road.

JoeA 07-12-2012 06:21 PM

I was in a goose set-up that was covered by very low clouds / high fog bank. We could hear the Canadas flapping their wings just before they came into view. There was an outfitter or duck club with the name Whistling Wings.

Swifts make a jet swoosh when they zoom past you too.