Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

amazing experience today

Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Spike

Default just a memorable story..

I had taken my young sons to a federal refuge and we were picked for one of the field goose blinds. They allow you to take duck or goose when in season, problem was, we weren't sure how to get to the field with the blind. We had to go through another field in the dark, find a small bridge over a crick to get to the blind field. The four of us spread out, each carrying some decoys, and our equipment. I ended up near the corner of the field and went to cross a small ditch. As I jumped, a wounded mallard from the previous days hunt fluttered at my feet. I dispatched the critter an stuck him in my game pouch. One of my sons yelled he had found the little bridge and shinned his light so the rest of us could go to the field. I never mentioned the duck. We set up in the dark, putting our decoys out and then entered the grassed in blind. It was a beautiful crisp clear morning. Just before shooting time I told the boys to keep their eyes open for low flying ducks. I told them other hunters in the creeks would jump ducks and they would fly low looking for fields to land in. I told the boys if you jump up and yell "BANG", it would get the ducks attention and they would fly into the ground, break their necks and you could harvest them without a shot. The boys gave their usual "yea right, dad". I motioned for them to be still, jumped up and yelled "BANG" and ran from the pit into the darkened field. I returned with the duck from my game pouch and threw it on the floor of the blind. They knew something was up, but I certainly had them looking for early flying birds.
We limited out and had a great hunt. Of course I told them what I did, later.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta love those whistling wings.